Changing 'page titles'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Clive,

Create a new variable called CustomHomePageTitle (Design>Library>Variables)

(I did this by right clicking on the 'General' Group and selected 'New variable'

Name/Description/Prompt = CustomHomePageTitle
    Place of Setting = Site
    Panel Name: Properties
    Type = Text
    Allow Empty Value = Ticked.

Click ok to exit design library.

In design view, find:

<title><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" /></title>

and change to:

Code:
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsStoreFrontPage%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3d%3d%20true">
    	<title><actinic:variable name="CustomHomePageTitle" /></title>
       </actinic:block>

<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsStoreFrontPage%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3d%3d%20false" >
    	<title><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" /></title>
       	</actinic:block>
    This will show the text shown in the CustomHomePageTitle if the store front is shown otherwise it will show the default..

Now go to Settings>Site Options>Properties>General>CustomHomePageTitle and type in your preferred page title.

Enjoy.

Comment

If you replace all code in between the <title> and </title> in your overall layout with the following, it will also do all other pages that you cannot control.

Code:
      <title>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Brochure%27" ><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" /></actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Checkout%20Page%200%27" >Checkout Step 1</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Checkout%20Page%201%27" >Checkout Step 2</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Checkout%20Page%202%27" >Checkout Step 3</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Shopping%20Cart%27" >Your Shopping Basket</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Add%20To%20Cart%20Confirmation%27" >Selection Added to Basket</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Receipt%27" >Your Receipt</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Search%27" >Search our Site</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Contact%20Us%27" >Contact Us</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Search%20Results%27" >Your Search Results</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Bounce%20Page%27" >Forwarding you to the next page...</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Site%20Map%27" >Site Map</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Terms%20And%20Conditions%27" >Online Store Policies</actinic:block>
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Section%27" ><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevel%22%20%2f%3e%20%3e%200" ><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" /></actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevel%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%200" >Insert title here for shop top</actinic:block></actinic:block>
      </title>

Comment

Started reading this thread and knew how I was going to post - but got to the end and Lee, you've already done it. I think that code was posted some while back (by Jo, I believe - I assumed it was her code), it works a treat and is easy to edit in the Design tab once it is pasted in - I use it on all my sites.

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Jo posted the first version i believe (although it was a community collaboration as i recall), but some pages were missing from it and the shop top was missing or it gave the phantom coding error, i can't remember exactly. This is my own version derived from that original one. The extra blockif for pagetype section cures the problem and the missing pages have been added.

Comment

Hard to tell the difference - if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Brochure%27 - I'll give yours a try!!!
            Paul
            Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

You might have this full version already, its been posted a few times over the years. If you copy paste it into your layout, the code will look much easier to read and you will see if there are any differences.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                Unfortunately, being able to set the title on the shop top was something they overlooked, but the good news is that i believe this is to be fixed in V11. The information you learn won't just help for this, it will open up many doors for other things.

Try something like this:

Code:
                <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Section%27" ><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevel%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%200" >Write your title here</actinic:block></actinic:block>
                Add it just above the </title> (<< note this carefully, not the <title>) in the overall layout of your site.
                Thanks for trying to help me with this.
                Unfortunately it doesnt work as desired (though it is an improvement)

The problem with this code is that the page title for the online catalogue is not just 'my own title'
                Preceding my 'own title' is
                the business name:the catalogue name:and then my 'own title'

So its all abit long and messy. I really want the page title to just be 'my own title. I'm going to try the other suggestions and see how they work.

Thanks anyway

Comment

That doesn't make much sense Clive, you set 100% of the title using that method and indeed will have to on the other methods, why can you not just put in what you want as the title, just type it.

Comment

because its too long. It only allows you 20 characters!

General tab of 'online catalogue' : Name

Comment

This method does not use that, if you add the code you will see some text in it saying "Write your title here", that is where you write your title.

Comment

That doesn't make much sense Clive, you set 100% of the title using that method and indeed will have to on the other methods, why can you not just put in what you want as the title, just type it.
                        Thanks for sticking with this.

I am going to the design panel and putting the code in there.. where you said to put it. I think?

just above the </title> (<< note this carefully, not the <title>) in the overall layout of your site.
                        You said 'above' I presume you meant 'before'

So I inserted the code just before </title>

Code:
                         <html>
                        <head>
                           <title><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" /><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Section%27" ><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevel%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%200" >My own page title</actinic:block></actinic:block></title>
                        Am I putting it in the wrong place?
                        Because this code gives, as I said before;
                        Business name:Online catalogue name:then my own title

Comment

No, it's because of this part:
                          Code:
                          <title><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" />
                          See the post I just wrote above before yours.
                          Peblaco

Comment

Just go to post #17 and paste all of that code to replace what you currently have in between your <title> and </title>, i've used it for 4 years, so i can assure you it works, all you have to do is manually type in the title for the shop top page, where i have indicated.

Comment

Originally posted by peblaco View Post
                              No, it's because of this part:
                              Code:
                              <title><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" />
                              See the post I just wrote above before yours.
                              Thanks very much Louise. Thats sorted it.

Comment

Just go to post #17 and paste all of that code to replace what you currently have in between your <title> and </title>, i've used it for 4 years, so i can assure you it works, all you have to do is manually type in the title for the shop top page, where i have indicated.
                                Hi, yes thanks, the code in post #17 works, but the code you gave in #15 didnt.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X