Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to show number of products per section / sub-section

hello,
    building my first actinic (v8) site and wondering if it is possible to show the number of products within a section... so for example:-
    Fires (30)
    Gas Fires (10)
    Electric Fires (12)
    LPG Fires (8)
    etc...
    Hope someone can help.
    Chris
    Chris Adams

Welcome Chris.
    I'm sorry I can't answer your problem but if you managed to do this and your navigation showed the products per section, then when you upload a new (or delete) and a product all the store pages will have to be uploaded as well to reflect that change, which may not be desirable if you have a large store.

Comment

yep - good point, hadn't thought about those practicalities. cheers
      Chris Adams

Comment

Show products per section

Hi,

I'm after something very similar to this... I would like to show how many products there are within the section at the top of the products page.

It would be a really easy way for us to check that all products are showing in the correct place.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Amy

musthave : the natural skincare store
        http://www.musthave.co.uk

Comment

this isn't an inbuilt feature (like it is in other carts) so you'd have to program it yourself if indeed it was possible

Comment

Amy,

If you mean the same page as the products are on, then it would be really easy to show the count at the bottom. Would that be useful?
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I think the problem being that you need to loop down the products BEFORE you've listed them, and I know that if you use the inbuilt list-index and list-count also counts the fragments and its not an accurate count of real products.

on a smaller system, it could be easier to create a user-defined-variable and state that this is ONLY available at section level, then do a quick manual count of the products in that subsection and enter it into the user-defined-variable
              then in your section layout, simply show the user-defined-variable within the brackets. - you would need to remember to update the count though.

alternatively, you could use some of the actinic-tree javascript file (that gives you all the products and you could use children count to do the equivilent work) that would be more dynamic, but still some work involved.

Comment

I think I requested this for the wish list ages ago. Quite common on many of the bigger sites nowadays actually.
                Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Thanks all ...

This is something we used to have on our old website and is one of the few things that we miss (everything else was fairly awful) and we've been caught out with various products not going up when we uploaded and a quick product count would help in a big way.

Norman, the bottom of the page would be absolutely fine and yes it would be extremely useful. I'm no programmer though and can only really fiddle with the existing Actinic layouts, play with the advanced user guide and create the odd variable/layout. Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Amy

Comment

Displaying product count at bottom of the page.

Edit your Overall Layout, look for the </head> line and place the following just above it:
                    Code:
                    <actinic:block php="true">$productsonpage = 0;</actinic:block>
                    Click on a Product in Design View and use the up arrow to get to the Product List layout (named something like Product List With Horizontal Dividers)

There will be two occurrences of

<actinic:variable name="ProductLayout" />

Add the following to the end each of these lines

Code:
                    <actinic:block php="true">	$productsonpage++;</actinic:block>
                    Finally click the Click here to edit list layout settings and put the following at the end of End of List.
                    Code:
                    <actinic:block php="true">echo "$productsonpage products on this page";</actinic:block>

Comment

Thank you Norman!

Hi Norman,

Firstly, thank you very much, you're a star! This solution is almost perfect and will be incredibly helpful to us. However, and now it just seems like I'm being cheeky, but when there's only one product listed on the page it displays "2 products on this page" which is fine for us, but I just know it will throw the customer.

I think I followed your instructions ok, is it possible that I missed something?

Thank you in advance,

Amy

Comment

Hi has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this problem? What Norman gave me was really close and is almost perfect for what we need. However, I get an incorrect display when there's only one product displayed in the list - it displays "2 products", it's not a problem to us but I know customers will notice and complain.

I just wish I knew more about developing and I'd have a crack myself but I'm at a loss.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Yours totally bewildered,

Amy

Comment

It turns out that there's an Actinic Variable ListCount that will do this and is a lot simpler.

So remove the above patch and instead do this (it also puts the info at the top of the page as per your original request).

Click on a Product in Design View and use the up arrow to get to the Product List layout (named something like Product List With Horizontal Dividers)

Click the Click here to edit list layout settings and put the following at the beginning of Start of List.
                          Code:
                          <actinic:variable name="ListCount" /> products on this page
                          Let me know when you've done this and I'll delete my over-complex post.

Comment

I think you may need to check into the validity of this listcount variable ,
                            I think it includes FRAGMENTS into the list count and not the true count of REAL products.

make sure you do some real testing here.

Comment

Indeed it does count Fragments. So it'll only be meaningful if you don't use them on your Product pages.

Comment

Working...
                              X