Compressed upload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compressed upload

What does a server need to support the new compressed upload feature? I'm sure I spotted a post mentioning it before, but I can't seem to find it any more.

Quote from version release info:
    3. The upload process now compresses upload data and then decompresses it on the server (if the Archive:Zip Perl module has been installed on the server). This can have a significant impact on upload time. AC9-1526
    Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
    Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
    SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

I think it may have origianlly have been in the opening message of this thread which has now been edited http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=39915, but like Fergus the only place I could now find it is in the "Changes in v9.0.3" release notes.

A knowledge base article also explains what to do if you get the error message indicating your server doesn't support upload compression.
      http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=45226
      Last edited by KB2; 23-Mar-2010, 09:43 AM. Reason: Updating kb links
      Darren Guppy
      Golf Tee Warehouse
      Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

The following KB article lists the perl modules that are required to enhance the performance of an Actinic site:

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44812
        Last edited by KB2; 23-Mar-2010, 09:42 AM. Reason: Updating kb links
        Benjamin Dyer
        CEO - SellerDeck Ecommerce Software for SME's

SellerDeck is the new name for Actinic Desktop

Have you tried searching the Knowledge Base?

Comment

Perl modules

Hi Ben.
          Forgive me if this seems a stupid question.
          My site currently uses your Actinic hosting, am I right to assume that the Perl modules in the KB article http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44812
          ie: Archive::Zip and the ActEncrypt1024 modules will be (if not already) installed as needed on the server?
          Last edited by KB2; 23-Mar-2010, 09:41 AM. Reason: Updating kb links
          Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
          www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

That's ok, it's a good question.

Actinic Hosting is all set up to support the compressed upload, the required modules are all installed.
            Benjamin Dyer
            CEO - SellerDeck Ecommerce Software for SME's

SellerDeck is the new name for Actinic Desktop

Have you tried searching the Knowledge Base?

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Hi Ben.
                Brilliant. Just a quick question, is it fairly easy to put these modules on my Apache localhost server I use at home for testing? If so do they go in the cgi bin, the website root folder, or where?
                I would just like to give them a try out before we go live with 9.0.3, just so I can try everything I can think of.
                Incidentally I changed the tax settings in 9.0.2 and it updated in a few minutes, but 9.0.3 took significantly longer, not a problem, just curious.
                Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

Comment

Steve,

This wiki page on installing perl modules should help. All you need is root access, which I am assuming you have.

Cheers,
                  Grant

Comment

Thanks Grant.
                    I will have a look.
                    Steve Griggs.

Comment

Compressed upload doesn't seem to make a difference

Hi,

I'm currently try to upgrade & test a client site. Upgrading from 9.0.2 to 9.0.3 and have had some problems just upgrading. I think that has now been resolved by just copying over the original site folder into the 9.0.3 sites folder.

Anyway, I'm trying to upload to a test area on a 1&1 account (who do have the Archive:Zip module installed). It is working but appears to be going no quicker than before. It's is a big site (snapshot is around 240mb) so I was hoping that this update would improve upload times for the client, as they update everyday and waste a lot of time just waiting.

From things I have read, I was expecting to see a major drop in upload times. I have so far been waiting around 3-4 hours for the site to be refreshed and it still looks a way off yet!

Any suggestions or advice?
                      Web . Design . Multimedia . Branding

Comment

Are you sure it is switched on in network settings? You should see a big change if it is on and working on a large site.

Comment

Yeah, well it say it is. I've attached a couple of screenshots:

Comment

I can't see your images as they are red crossed. Actinic said that some sites would not experience any speed changes, however I thought this meant small ones which don't seem any different IME. I'd have thought as site size increases, the effectiveness of the upload speed should be increasing too. Not really sure what to suggest, it doesn't sound switched on to me or maybe some large sites will not benefit too according to their setup.

Comment

Are you still not seeing the images? They didn't work first time but I edited the post and they appear to be working now.

Thanks for your help Lee. It is weird and as you said, maybe users with small sites wouldn't notice a difference, but you'd think a large site like this would. It's always take a while to upload this site but V9 seemed to make it slower, so when they announced the changes in 9.0.3 we thought... great!

Using 9.0.2, it can take the client 40 mins easily just to do a minor update and if they do a major update or refresh then it takes hours and hours and normally accompanied by multiple FTP retry prompts, so you can't even leave it running over night as it would just get stuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X