Paypal seller protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paypal seller protection

Just been on the phone to Paypal. They say that because they do not receive the shipping address with any of our transactions, that we are not covered by their seller protection.

We just had a sale reversed by Paypal as the buyer has claimed it was unauthorised. We've lost the money and have no seller protection from Paypal as the delivery address was not provided. We shipped the goods 3 weeks ago.

Actinic say that the only way is to change the settings so that the buyer will have to re-enter the shipping address in Paypal when they make the payment. That is ridiculous and will result in lost sales as a certain % of customers won't be bothered to enter the delivery address again, having done it once already.

Actinic say this is the way Paypal require it.

Surely it can't be that difficult to pass Paypal the delivery address, along with the billing address.

Does anyone have any experience or fixes for this?
    Nigel
    Actinic user with history
    www.nigelsecostore.com

Several existing (and old!) threads on the subject.

I don't think any real method, of getting the address across, has been developed.
    There are a few suggestions in the threads, I think (haven't re-read them through) but not sure any were ideal.

I'm sure (?) Actinic must have their reasons for not sending it although, IIRC, they haven't shared them

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44055

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=32835
    Tracey

Comment

Hi Tracey & Nigel

Do not believe anything Actinic say.

If you get any sort of usable answer from support I would be surprised.

Anyway in answer to your question you need to update the file OCCPayPalTemplate.pl this is located in the CommonOCC folder inside your site folder.

You need to find the line
      AddPostValues ('&', 'no_shipping' , 1, $ALWAYS, NOENDCODE);

Then change the paramter 'no_shipping' from 1 to 2. This passes the address onto PayPal and prevents the customer from ammending it which then gives you Seller protection.
      You are still at the mercy of PayPal if the customers address is not fully confirmed but this is the best you can get.

As with any change to these files be careful and make back up's. You will then of course need to publish to web to activate the change.

I have no idea why Actinic set this parameter to 1 but then I do not know why Actinic do alot of things!!!!

Cheers

Jerry

Comment

Thanks Jerry - that's incredibly helpful.

I continue to be frustrated by Actinic, and their tech support.
        Nigel
        Actinic user with history
        www.nigelsecostore.com

Comment

Thanks for this post Jerry - I just tried it. Changed one digit and ran a test transaction. Address now showing in paypal, and seller protection "eligible". Fabulous.

Justin
          -
          Justin Hill (Half-to-three-quarters-baked Mac expert, laptop evangelist and vintage Hammond enthusiast)
          http://www.cka-net.com

Comment

Jerry, does this still apply if the shipping address is different from the billing address?
            Scottish Gifts 4U - quality gifts from Scotland

Comment

Seller protection relies on the delivery address being a 'verified' address. Essentially this means the address the buyer registered with. If they change the delivery address you get either 'partial' seller protection or no protection at all.

Justin
              -
              Justin Hill (Half-to-three-quarters-baked Mac expert, laptop evangelist and vintage Hammond enthusiast)
              http://www.cka-net.com

Comment

Working...
              X