Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soapbox Reviews Shown in Google Results - Rich Snippets

Hi All,

As many of you have given me help over the years, I thought I would share this with all the Soapbox users, nothing special, however it is worth it IMO. Using Rich Snippets you can show your customer reviews in the search results, I have been playing with a site run by a friend, so in Google type:

Broilking Keg, the result (unless changed) should show bedsbbq with a listing and the review underneath, to get this working all you need to do is wrap the snippets code around elements in soapbox, start by doing a snapshot, then close Actinic and open soapbox, go to view/amend settings and then 2nd tab review placement, in the HTML layout, replace all with:

<br />[soapboxrating]<span style='font-weight: normal'><span class="summary">[soapboxshortdesc][soapboxtitle]</span></span>&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;<span class="description">[soapboxreview]</span><br /><span style='font-style: italic; color:#006600'>(<span class="dtreviewed">[soapboxdate]</span>) <span class="reviewer">[soapboxreviewer]</span> - [soapboxreviewerlocation]</span>

Ammend any colour as required, if your on an older version of soapbox, you may need to remove the line: <span class="dtreviewed">[soapboxdate]</span>

Close the box and refresh/update Actinic, now open Actinic and locate the embedded review layout for soapbox and replace all with:

<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SoapboxIsEmbedded%22%20%2f%3e"><div class="hreview">Read the<span class="item"><span class="fn"> <actinic:variable name="ProductName" /></span></span> Reviews</span> <b><span style='color:#336633;'>(Overall Rating: <span class="rating"><span class="value"><actinic:variable name="SoapboxRating" /></span> out of <span class="best">10)</b></span></span></span></span><div style="height:150px;width:98%;font:14px;overflow-y:scroll;overflow-x:hidden;border:0px solid #ccc; padding: 2px 6px;"><actinic:variable name="SoapboxEmbeddedReviewContent" /> </div></div></actinic:block>

Again you may need to alter some of the styling to sit with your site, in order to get the code to work, the review had to contain the product name variable, and put an overall rating next to it, an example of what it looks like on page can be found here:

http://www.bedsbbq.co.uk/barbecue-sh...-barbecue.html

Once you have put the code in, upload your site, you can test that the code is working on the Google testing tool:

http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets

enter the page url and click preview, please note that in order to work, your reviewer has to have left a name, if not the required field will be missing.

Please remember to snapshot first encase the style does not work properly for you etc. I hope that some will find this useful.
    Many Thanks
    Lee
    www.mdnsupplies.co.uk
    www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

Many thanks for the above code which is easy to implement compared to the Codepath solution which I could not get to work.

The only problem I had with the above code was that the white space generated by the 150px box if you only had 1 review was too much.

I have made just made a small change to the above code adding a blockif on the scroll box so that it will only show the 150px scrolling box if there are 3 or more reviews, thus limiting the white space.

<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SoapboxIsEmbedded%22%20%2f%3e"><div class="hreview">Read the<span class="item"><span class="fn"><actinic:variable name="ProductName" /></span></span> Reviews</span> <b><span style='color:#336633;'>(Overall Rating: <span class="rating"><span class="value"><actinic:variable name="SoapboxRating" /></span> out of <span class="best">10)</b></span></span></span></span><div <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SoapboxReviewCount%22%20%2f%3e%20%3e%3d%203">style="height:150px;width:98%;font:14px;overflow-y:scroll;overflow-x:hidden;border:0px solid #ccc; padding: 2px 6px;"</actinic:block>><actinic:variable name="SoapboxEmbeddedReviewContent" /> </div></div></actinic:block>
    Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
    Zirconium Rings
    Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Working...
    X