1&1 Emails Bouncing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1&1 Emails Bouncing

Our domains are hosted by 1&1 Internet, and for the last few days our automatic confirmation emails and order shipped emails through Sellerdeck have been bouncing back to us, if the email address is a hotmail, msn or live address, as 1&1 is blacklisted by hotmail and associates. I contacted 1&1 last week, and they said they are working on it, and suggested that in the meantime we change the smtp address to our isp's smtp address. However, they are it, so not quite sure what to do there. Anybody else getting this problem? Got a solution?

Sarah

Only 1and1 can get your server off the blacklist. If you're on a shared server, it can take time. It's happened once or twice to us but it's always been sorted out by 1and1 within a day. We have a dedicated server and clearly at some point in the past, a previous user of the IP address has caused problems. I'd suggest you chivvy 1and1 again.

You can see who's blacklisting you by checking your domain here (MxToolbox)

By the way your ISP is not the same as your hosting company. Your ISP is who you pay your broadband bill to.
    Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Thank you Jules

Thanks for responding. I understand about the isp, but in this case it is 1&1 acting as an isp when sending automatic emails through Sellerdeck. We can send emails out (using Outlook) going through our isp Eclipse, but this would involve a lot of extra work as regards the Sellerdeck emails. We also get bounces regarding emails going through Eclipse as Eclipse blacklisted, but for different email providers (usually aol). The carrier that sends out emails to our customers on our behalf also has aol emails bounce back. Most annoying.

I have chased up 1&1 again. They responded fairly promptly both times to assure me that they were working on it. They are trying to identify and stop the spammers who are using 1&1 to send their spam, and are also talking to hotmail to try to help in my case and others who have reported the same problem, which they say is affecting people randomly.

As yet we have not had any problems arise by the customers not receiving the emails, but it is early days. At least with the customers being sent Royal Mail emails about their deliveries, these should be OK.

Sarah

Comment

I just posted a new thread with same as didn't spot this posting!

Yes, same problem here.

We do have email hosting elsewhere, but can't get those SMTP settings to work.

The problem appears to be with 1and1's mrvnet server, which does not require authentification (username and password), which is why so may people use it. The alternative server (with authentification) auth.smtp.1and1.o.uk has given many of us problems in the past (and I ceryianly can't get it to work)

Are you also receiving spoofed mail (mail that appears with your email address in the From box) but was not sent by you? I have had a growing amount of this for several days now.

Comment

We use the auth.smtp outgoing setting and it works fine. Maybe the difference is that ours is a dedicated server. And no, no spoofed mail at all.
          Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Thanks Jules

Which variant do you use
            1and1
            or
            oneandone?

To add further info, we are managing to send emails to hotmail accounts via 1and1 email (ie. when we log into our mail account), but not via the sellerdeck setup (the automated confirmation emails)! I am not sure what the difference is, regarding account settings, but there obviously is one

Comment

auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Jules.

The hotmail block seems to have been resolved (and my spoofed emails have also stopped), so looks like they have taken some action. Fingers crossed it stays like thsi.

Comment

Yes, keeping fingers crossed

We had the problem last Friday and Monday, but seems to be OK now (Friday).

We have a lot of spoofed emails anyway, difficult to know whether increased, possibly. I have lots of Rules in place in Outlook to delete emails on arrival if they fulfil certain conditions, so do not get to see them all. Today we have been getting more than usual bounced emails to us, not sent by us, through 1 and 1, with viruses picked up by our virus software.

Sarah

Comment

Yup, we received some of those 'cleaned' virus emails a few days ago, but now stopped. We are back to receiving the spoofed stuff though, after a 24 hour hiatus. I am interested to know what filter rules you put in place. The emails we are receiving have our own email as the sender, and random letters (RTDGFSFGKMB etc) as the subject. As all are different, how do you filter them?

Comment

I'm with 1&1 but can't comment on the original subject as I haven't noticed a problem. However:

Originally posted by fleetwood View Post
                      The emails we are receiving have our own email as the sender, and random letters (RTDGFSFGKMB etc) as the subject. As all are different, how do you filter them?
                      We've been getting these for at least 3 or 4 months on two of our V10 sites (we also have another V10 site and a V9 on the same server) but I only know about them because they are listed on the daily Spam report. They seem to come through in blocks of 5 or 6, all together, and not every day.

They don't actually get beyond the 1&1 Control Panel (which I rarely visit) and so do not come through to my desktop. Have you visited your CP and checked the Spam Filter setting?
                      ______
                      Paul
                      Paul
                      Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Thanks. All my 1&1 mailboxes have spam filtering set on, but I haven't checked the control panel for ages, so maybe its time to have a look.

Comment

Working...
                        X