1&1 - Operating System Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1&1 - Operating System Update

The following email was received from 1&1 this afternoon.

What, if any are the implications of this upgrade for those who currently use 1&1 Linux based hosting packages with SellerDeck 2016 and previous versions? ......

On 24 May 2016 we will update the operating system of our Linux Hosting servers, including the server your website is hosted on. This update will optimise resource utilisation, improve system security, and add support for TLS 1.2.

Please note that there will be new versions of scripting languages and new database libraries. If you use one of the following scripting languages or libraries for your website, please ensure that your scripts are compatible with the following versions that will be installed:

- Perl 5.20
    - Python 2.70 and 3.4
    - Ruby 2.1
    - Berkeley DB 5.3

After the operating system update, we will only support 64-bit applications. Please note that with the update, we will no longer provide a 32-bit compatibility on our Linux Hosting servers.

Please prepare all necessary adjustments by 24 May 2016, to ensure that your website will remain functional even after the operating system update. Additional details regarding the update will come later in a second e-mail.

Release notes for the operating system update can be found here:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes

This is covered comprehensively in this thread, which includes the update you mention in the most recent posts.
    Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

I suspect this post might be more about the other changes mentioned rather than the tls1.2 issue discussed in the other thread.

The update to perl 5.20 could have an impact, but I don't know either way.

Similarly the comment about 32 bit applications not being supported any more.

A response from sellerdeck would be appreciated (or anyone else who understands the hosting side of things).

This thread might also be better off in the hosting / server area of the forum as I'm sure the issues raised are going to be applicable to more than just Sellerdeck 2016.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post

Similarly the comment about 32 bit applications not being supported any more.

Mike
        Supporting only 64 bit applications is not a problem for Sellerdeck in itself as the SellerDeck files loaded to the site are scripts not applications, however this does automatically limit the versions of certain applications such as the PHP and Perl that can be supported., so the scripts have to be compatible with those versions.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

I believe I did try it on version 5.20 and I had problems, I think it would be worth checking if possible. Interesting to know what version of Perl Sellerdeck hosting is on and if they have tried 5.20.
          David Sewell
          The Cotton Patch
          http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk
          http://www.rotarycuttershop.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X