Cant send emails - Data truncated ??

We cant send emails as an error reports:

A database error occured whilst loading the mails : Data truncated

Any info to fix this please

Regards

Mike
    www.thefreemason.com - the internet portal for freemasonry

Which email were you trying to send?
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Jan

We dont (as yet) send emails auto when we get an order, so we send them by opening an order when it has been downloaded, by going to the emails tab and selecting the "order recieved" from the templates.

We then close the order, and then from the main screen, click the email icon, and then we get the error message.

The emails arent sent.

Regards

Mike

Comment

I've just tried that here and it works - but then I'm still using 6.0 CKVA.

If you are using the same version then maybe your customer address is too big. That error often occurs when catalog tries to read a field that is bigger than catalog thinks it is into the program.

Have you tried a newer version of catalog and gone back to an older version if so this could also cause the error if the database structure is not quite the same - unlikely to be the problem though because the error you are getting is not the one I would expect to see.

I would suggest raising a support query with Actinic if none of this helps because someone will need to take a look at your database so see what is going wrong.

Cheers,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Is it happening on all orders or just a few?

One thing that might cause this is if you have a particularly large order where the number of characters in the message could be pushed over 20,000 (the limit on some fields in Actinic).

Comment

Hi Chris

It happens all the time.........its an ongoing problem.

We have not been able to send the emails by this method at all.

We have to go into each order and send the emails from there

Regards

Mike
            www.thefreemason.com

Comment

Emails are sent by Actinic contacting the the server (via the Perl scripts) and then contacting the SMTP server from there. It sounds like your SMTP server does not cope with a lot of data at once - and can only cope with one email at a time.

In order to be sure, we would really need to see your database. Do you have Actinic Cover? If so, then can I suggest you call the support staff and email over your database so we can pin down where the problem is occurring.

Comment

The problem is in the database Chris, one of the emails has text that is 4097 characters long and you are only allowed to have 4096 characters in that field. If you click on the order and select the email tab you get the data truncated error. I think that when you click on the email icon on the toolbar all emails are checked to see whether they need to be sent, which causes the data truncated to appear.

It's a nasty bug really because it also stops you doing most bulk processing things that involve emails, for example you can't purge orders anymore.

The workaround is to edit the database in access and remove a few characters from the email in question.

I tested this in v5 so you may see different behaviour in V6.

Regards,

Comment

Ok - I'll report it as a bug straight away.

Thanks Jan.

Comment

This has been fixed in 5.1.6 and 6.0.2 - both of which are available to download from www.actinicdownloads.com.

Comment

Jan

Star again !!!

Many thanks

This error is now fixed !

Mike

Comment

Can send emails - get message on purge

Hi All

After we've sent orders out, we use the mail facility in each order to send an "order shipped" email (boy, that cuts down on the "where's my order" telephone calls!).

These all send OK - doing it individually at the mo, but really need to automate this.

However, if we go to delete any orders (delete:housekeepingurge orders) - we get the same message as Mike who started the thread.

We've been doing the above procedure for a very long time - this error message has just started. Haven't upgraded, patched or done anything else that I know of that would upset the apple cart. Using Cat 6.1.2.

Any thoughts? TIA - Helen

Comment

Don't know where that smilie came from in last message!! Wasn't put there on purpose - this one is though.

BTW - happy easter everyone - hope we'll all get some well earned time off?! Helen

Comment

Working...
                          X