Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very First Steps for Online payment

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some simple up-to-date advice on choosing and setting-up a first facility to take online payments. I've been building my site and now have enough items that someone might soon find it and actually buy something!
    I have looked at the past posts etc but am rather overwhelmed by the volume of sometimes conflicting advice.

Background:
    -The site is initially a 'photo album' for stock we can't fit in the shop, but we are adding content to make it more conventional (books etc that suit online selling).

-A typical transaction will be around £40 but another (smaller) chunk could be about the £1000 level.

-Business will be 95% UK, and initially very small volumes (so I'd prefer to pay slightly higher fees rather than a monthly standing charge).

-I am a beginner, so easy (in Actinic) is good! I'm OK ticking boxes but screw-up each time I try html.

-At the moment I just have options to pay on delivery or collect from shop.

-I have a verified paypal account for my ebay activities

-If someone does happen to buy a £6000 clock (that I'm going to deliver and set-up in their home), I'd like a way to encourage them to pay by cheque and save the inevitable fees

- I have a business bank account with Abbey

Domain is www.hohobird.com

Thanks in advance for those willing to share their wisdom with me. If you need advice on antiques, please get in touch.
    Peter Hayes
    www.hohobird.com
    Antiques Clocks, Barometers etc

have a verified paypal account for my ebay activities
    Paypal is the easiest one of the lot to set up and IMO would be a good start.

Comment

for expensive items like the £6000 clock I'd put it on the site without the option to online buy it, create a separate link that allows the customer to order without paying. I doubt if many genuine customoers would be happy paying £6000 to an unknown shop for a clock, if you are going to deliver and install you don't have to take payment online

Then you can sell smaller priced items with a PSP. and reduce your risk

Most PSPs charge either a monthly fee, set up charge, annual payment so you should research these to see which one is best for you

the most popular being Protx, Worldpay, Netbanx and Secpay.

and of course Paypal.

Comment

Working...
      X