Using search facility to serve adverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using search facility to serve adverts

My websites allow users to search the contents pages of thousands of magazines in order to find articles they are interested in. I'm currently using the standard Actinic (V6) search function to do this, but given that this facility is a major feature of my website I really want to improve it's functionality beyond that provided by the Actinic search tool. I have seen various dedicated search products that offer all sorts of 'back end' features I would like (analytics and marketing etc), plus some snazzy front end features too (auto-complete, spell checking etc). One major thing which I would like my search facility to do would be to serve adverts tailored to the search term alongside the regular search results. If anyone has done anything similar with their site, or can answer any of the specific questions below I would be most grateful:

- Does the search facilty in V8 provide any additional functionality over V6? If so, what?

- Has anyone any experience dumping the Actinic search facility altogether, and installing another search product? If so, which product did you choose and why?

- Can the existing search facility be modified or extended to serve adverts as well as the normal search results?

On this last point, it has occured to me that I could set up a section within Actinic with adverts as 'products' - with the appropriate keywords the adverts would then appear as the result of a search - but I cannot figure out a way of making the search function search through both the 'normal' database, plus the 'advert' database at the same time, with the two sets of results appearing in different formats in different areas of the page - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Jeremy Arnold
    www.magazineexchange.co.uk
    www.magazineexchange.co.uk
Working...
X