Paypal reversal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paypal reversal

Today I've had a payment reversed by Paypal, for goods that were sent out to the customer 10 days ago, all ordered and processed through Actinic with no problems - here's the Paypal email...

"We were recently notified that a payment you received was reversed by the buyer's bank.

We were recently notified that a payment you received was reversed by the buyer's bank for the following reason: The bank is disputing the Direct Debit Instruction (DDI)..

As a result, we have reversed the following transaction:

<snip>

PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for our buyers and sellers. You can help to protect yourself against claims and reversals by following the guidelines of our .

Yours sincerely,
    PayPal"

Although the wording is a bit strange it is a real reversal email and the funds really have been reversed. I've read about on the net a bit and it seems that I could have been scammed here - google "paypal reversal" to find out more.

Looking through the user agreement at https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/we...GhBWtmTzRC1sam and particularly section 11, in my position it seems it will be impossible to be able to fight this, as I can't claim seller protection, because the customer in question - in fact, looking back at my Paypal history, hardly any of my customers - have a delivery address on their Paypal account, so it doesn't appear on the Transaction Details, hence protection is "ineligible".

It seems a buyer can instigate a reversal up to 180 days later. So although I may have been diddled only to the tune of £30 I really don't need all my Paypal customers reclaiming the cost of their Xmas presents from me in the new year. I am assuming that my only recourse would be via small claims.

Anyone else come across this issue? I feel very reluctant to take Paypal any more, even though it is often cited as a major plus point in my store as lots of folk like to keep their hobby spending separate from their main accounts. I am wondering whether to set it in Actinic as a hidden option or only available to specified (logged in) customers? I'd welcome any thoughts on this.
    Martin
    Modelmotorracing.com : Web services : Twitter

With regards you problem, sorry to here it. I personally dont like paypal but its popular and a number of people are learning how to scam using it these days.

If it became an issue i would certainly drop paypal but as of yet i have no reason to, it's a back up for me but i guess i get a reasonable amount of orders with it. Funny more now i dont advertise the fact than i ever used to. Perhaps that shows its becoming more popular.

I am actually having to sort out a claim against a seller through paypal at the moment for some stuff the wife brought so i guess i will see what its like being on the other side.

Comment

I am waiting to hear back from Paypal customer support to see what they have to say. But reading through section 11, to comply with seller protection eligibility for non-Ebay sales, it seems I will have to implement a new policy of only shipping to Paypal customers with (and only to) their registered Paypal addresses, and making sure they pay the additional cost of special delivery so I have proof of posting and delivery - and I guess that could apply to anyone using Actinic and Paypal together, who wants to avoid the risk of Paypal chargebacks. Might even consider a £50 limit and only UK buyers for good measure depending on what Paypal say.

This is a bit of a worry though:
      http://www.ukauctionline.co.uk/archi...y_daveshop.php
      Martin

Comment

Well after two days, no reply from Paypal. So I plucked up the courage to call the customer - hate having to do this kind of thing - and asked him why the payment had been reversed. Apparently he had put a stop on the card that was linked to his Paypal account for topping it up, because he had suspected it had been misused somewhere. So Paypal couldn't get their money from him, so they just took it back from me without a by-your-leave. So anyway he gave me a card number over the phone which worked, so I have got my money back, so not the scam I thought it might have been.

But I have certainly learned some important things about Paypal. They look after number 1, then the buyer, then the seller, in that order. If you are selling off-Ebay using Paypal, only ship to the Paypal registered address, and get proof of delivery, otherwise you probably won't get seller protection. I had been in the habit of seeing the payment come through in Actinic as paid by Paypal and taking it as read, never bothering to check the transaction details email they send but I will make sure I check the buyer's address matches their Paypal account in future.
        Martin

Comment

Working...
        X