Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEO Optimisation?

Hi all.

I'm not a prolific poster on here, but I do have a question.

I'm trying to 'organically' grow my business more, having spent in my terms, a small fortune on Adwords.

I'm on V9 of Actinic and have only recently been completeing the 'page title' part of the content. It didn't appear anywhere in visual context on the website, so I thought that it wasn't important! Apparently it is!

I've turned sown countless SEO companies that claim better listings organicly for a vast sum of money. Having done some research online first.

The biz has been going since Sept '09 and I wondered what folks thought of the sites SEO'ness in general and if you had any advice.

I'm very happy with the design and layout of the site, and with the work that was put into it originally. I just now want to optimise it.

BTW I'm not HTML compliant!! So please keep the language simple.

Thanks in advance.

Oh. the website.

www.improvemygolf.co.uk

Haven't got time for an in depth look but two things stand out (btw I like the look):

1. Page names are not v seo friendly e.g. http://www.improvemygolf.co.uk /acatalog/ Books___Guides.html

Even something as simple as golf-books.html would be better

2. Page load times on that books and guides page are slow - you have lots of images of 168kb. Google likes fast loading pages. Makes the image file sizes smaller perhaps.
    Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

I agree with Jules.

I'd also add:

1. Your page titles have too many unimportant words so the keywords are getting lost.

eg "improvemygolf.co.uk golf training aids - SKLZ Swing Accelerator Iron from improvemygolf.co.uk"

2. Your section levels go down too deep.

For example putting left and right handed products as seperate pages is forcing the customer to take extra steps to get to the details and reducing the apparent importance of the pages to the search engines.

3. The home page links with images are going via the cgi-bin.

4. The same links probably aren't using the best anchor text.

I'd use 'golf' in the anchor text and think about what words searchers might be using and get those into the anchor text as well. So 'Practice balls' Should be 'Golf Practice Balls', 'Putting Aids' should maybe be 'Better Putting' or 'Improve Putting', 'Swing Path and Plane' should maybe be 'Straighter Golf Shots'.

5. There are some odd filenames around which aren't helping.

"SKLZdfgbdfgbfb.html" ?

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I can't see any Meta Descriptions either (you enter then in a field on the Section tabs). Goggle uses these for the description when your page is used in a search result.
        My understanding is that titles should show the most important words first. E.g.:
        Code:
        improvemygolf.co.uk golf training aids - Almost Golf White Balls from improvemygolf.co.uk
        might be better as
        Code:
        Almost White Golf Balls - golf training aids - improvemygolf.co.uk
        Quite a few copy_of_ page names

This isn't going to help:
        http://www.improvemygolf.co.uk /acatalog/SKLZdfgbdfgbfb.html
        (late night, was it? )

Comment

Thanks folks. I'll get to it. Well, that of it that I understand!

Am I right in thinking that the page titles, can be changed through the 'content' tab, then the product 'sub section' then 'page settings'. Which should I be changeing the 'page name' or the 'page title'?

With regard to the 'cgi bin', I'm afraid that you lost me there, but I am aware of it showing up in my google analytics as visited pages.

The images. Well they are all saved in the site one folder as a single size and Acticnic was set up to re-size the image to fit the required image size for each section.

Oh. And where was that weird example that was shown above 'sklz(and then a whole load of random letters)'?

The 'acatalog' bit that was pointed out. How do I get rid of that? I thought that it was a default setting, but again every page seems to have it in my google analytics account?

Apologies if I sound a bit of a doofus over this stuff. I'm a retailer, not a computor ace!

The left handed option was deliberated over and over, and I wanted to make it perfectly clear to customers where there was a left handed option. Particularly as they feel left out woth a lot of this stuff. Drop down option boxes were ruled out as it not being as clear as the current layout. Rightly or wrongly.

Oh, and thanks for the comment on the look of the site. I just now need Google to like it as much!

Thanks. Any further help with my questions would be appreciated.

Comment

Right. I've altered the very top title that appears at the top of the IE page for each product so that it now reads. Product, golf training aids from improvemygolf.co.uk

I hope that's what was being explained to me! And I hope that is more SEO friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by improvemygolf
              With regard to the 'cgi bin', I'm afraid that you lost me there, but I am aware of it showing up in my google analytics as visited pages.
              cgi-bin is a folder on your website where the Actinic perl scripts live.
              By default, Actinic uses a script called ss000001.pl to navigate to a page for certain links. On your home page, point to an image and look in the bottom bar of your browser and you'll see the link url. The use of these cgi-bin links has been much discussed on this forum (search for "cgi-bin navigation"). Some search engines won't follow these link, so the page may be ignored. I believe Google has been following these links for some time now.

The images. Well they are all saved in the site one folder as a single size and Acticnic was set up to re-size the image to fit the required image size for each section.
              A basic image editor will allow you to resize and compress the images.

Oh. And where was that weird example that was shown above 'sklz(and then a whole load of random letters)'?
              SKLZ Swing Accelerator Iron (section)

The 'acatalog' bit that was pointed out. How do I get rid of that? I thought that it was a default setting, but again every page seems to have it in my google analytics account?
              acatalog is added by Actinic. I believe it can be changed to something more meaningful in V10 (and possibly V9, not sure about that)

The titles are better!
              Still lots of copy_of_ page names. Just have a look through your sitemap.

Comment

Hi,

i still have the cig-bin/nologin...e.t.c on my home page links with images, i would like to change them to acatalog/****.html
                how is this done?
                i have searched the forum - no answer
                sent a couple of PM's - no answer (not important enough obviously)
                hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

thanks

Comment

sent a couple of PM's - no answer (not important enough obviously)
                  I sent an answer yesterday at 13.50. Not important enough to count, obviously.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
                    I sent an answer yesterday at 13.50. Not important enough to count, obviously.

Mike
                    Hi Mike.

Sorry. Had my head buried in so much, I've realy not got back to this forum. I do apologise.

I need a bit of help finding my pm file on here, so that I can read your message and reply to it etc. I've looked in the usual places.........but wood for trees perhaps?

Can anyone help with me as to where I'd find the pm file? It doesn't seem as obvious as some forums I've been on.

Thanks.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion Graham,

I was replying to Barry's post before mine where he was complaining that no one had replied to the PM's he sent out.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X