Meta Keywords and Description on product pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meta Keywords and Description on product pages

I am consulting for a company that uses Actinic and one of the problems that they want help with is that they cannot set the meta keywords and description for the product pages. I have never used Actinic before so I know nothing about it. However, looking at their installation, they are correct, they can set teh meta data for the product categories but not the product pages themselves.
    The product pages just seem to have some generic site-wide text used for every product. This can't be how it's supposed to work. How can I activate the functionality so that they can type in the meta description and keywords to be used for each product page like they can for the categories?

Cheers

MattLG

Actinic has section pages and extended information pages which may be the product pages you refer to. Both can have individual Meta tags. The section pages have standard entry fields that can be used to set the Meta tags. The extended information pages however may need modifying as per: http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=48410 The Meta information can then be entered into the vriable fields.

If you're not already aware Actinic is configured on the desktop and uploaded from there - pages should not be modified directly via FTP as the next upload will overwrite any changes.

Comment

I'm interested in this too, Hope you dont mind me adding to the question.

Wouldn't adding a subsection for every product do the job (as you can enter the Meta info there) I have done this for my products (well not all, but getting there)

Or

Is it that the searches need to find the meta info right on the same page as the product. I am a novice and dont know if puttng a subsection above each product helps with this or is a waste of time. I believe I read on here its the way to do it.

If this method is as good as being able to have the meta info right there with the product then this will be the solution for MattLG (and I am not wasting my time doing it to my site! )

Cheers

D

Comment

Having a single product per page SPP (per section) is the easiest way to manage seo and also allows the simplest method for the page to be indexed. The drawback is that it's cumbersome.

Extended information pages on the other hand are easier to initially set up but need some work to configure. They may also not be indexed ad well and are not part of the standard sitemap. Both of these issues can be overcome with information in the forum, but many still believe SPP to be better.

I think v11 could contain better/simpler creation of SPP based on extended information page methodology.

Comment

I thought meta (keywords and descriptions) were pretty well dead, much better to spend your time on page titles, product descriptions and social media.

Comment

Meta keywords are pretty much dead - certainly amongst the bigger search engines.

The meta description is shown on search engine results page - if there is no meta description then the first text on the page tends to get used, so it's best to be in charge of this area. Meta descriptions don't get used for searching on (if that made sense?)
            Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
            SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
            Based in rural Northants

Comment

Originally posted by Goz View Post
              Meta descriptions don't get used for searching on (if that made sense?)
              Which why it's for the SEM to use not the SEO

Also, watch out as Google can (and will) use information from your DMOZ entry (if you have one). If this is the case you will need to add this to your header if you do not want the big G using it

Code:
              <meta name="robots" content="NOODP">
              More info can be found here - http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=35264
              "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Working...
              X