Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trev Rich View Post
    Couldn't restart the server as everyone needs it on at the moment..(
    Therein lies your problem... the server must be started first before the slave machines are switched on. Actinic likes it that way

Comment

Originally posted by Southwest Test View Post
      Therein lies your problem... the server must be started first before the slave machines are switched on. Actinic likes it that way
      So.. Restart the main server which will restart the actinic server....... then switch on the PCs?

Comment

Yes, I'm afraid so... let the sync server settle first or else the other machines won't be able to connect to it

Comment

Server restarted.......
          PC's not switched on for 30 mins after........ still no connection

I might try switching back to my old machine....... so that the PCs can see the site and allow me to open actinic....... then change the site path from there?

Comment

Yes, but my suggestion to change the path in the Site Directory was much earlier in the thread before I'd grasped the fact that it was your connection to the sync server that was at fault... so not sure if you'd accomplish much by doing that... but then again if I was in that situation I'd try everything I could possibly think of!

My thoughts are running to firewall configuration on the new server now... will it accept incoming connections from the two older PCs?

Comment

Yes, but my suggestion to change the path in the Site Directory was much earlier in the thread before I'd grasped the fact that it was your connection to the sync server that was at fault... so not sure if you'd accomplish much by doing that... but then again if I was in that situation I'd try everything I could possibly think of!

My thoughts are running to firewall configuration on the new server now... will it accept incoming connections from the two older PCs?
              My new install on my new machine connected to it straight away so it can't be the firewall.
              Updating the site paths is the only thing I haven't done, it just means having to reconnect and set up the old PC which I was hoping to avoid.
              Will let you know how I get on...
              Thanks Paul

Comment

The outgoing rules on any existing firewall on the two older PCs might also have to be manually reconfigured to allow traffic to the new server.

Quick and dirty test would be to switch the firewall off briefly while you boot into Actinic on those two machines

Same goes for any hardware firewalls (i.e. routers, etc)

Comment

OK they work fine when my PC is on which suggests that the IP is still wrong.
                  I have checked though the registry and it shows the servers IP, not my PC which is correct.

However, in the site directory on Actinic, it still shows the wrong IP, with no option to change it....
                  Are the waters getting muddier or clearer? lol

Comment

However, in the site directory on Actinic, it still shows the wrong IP, with no option to change it
                    Do you mean it shows the wrong path? Just click on the path in the dialogue box, edit it as necessary, and then click OK to record the changes. There is no 'Change' or 'Edit' button as you rightly point out.

Comment

Do you mean it shows the wrong path? Just click on the path in the dialogue box, edit it as necessary, and then click OK to record the changes. There is no 'Change' or 'Edit' button as you rightly point out.
                      OK now that I have sussed out how it was installed..... this might be clearer.

We have an installation of Actinic on our works server.
                      The original install was on My PC which is now out of action.
                      The site files were stored on the shared server (works server)
                      The sync server was on my old pc...

So I'm guessing I need a sync server on the main server and that PCs need to point to that..
                      But there must be a sync server running already as my new PC can access it....

So all i need to to is point the other pcs to the same sync server?

Comment

So all i need to to is point the other pcs to the same sync server?
                        In a nutshell, yes... but be sure that the two older PCs are updated to the same version of Business Plus 10 as that which you have newly installed on the server.

Comment

In a nutshell, yes... but be sure that the two older PCs are updated to the same version of Business Plus 10 as that which you have newly installed on the server.
                          OK the sync server on our server is running..... the one on on my old machine has been stopped...
                          now how do I point the machines at the new sync server????

Sorry to be a pain Paul

Comment

Using the instructions in the Knowledge Base article I referred to in post no. 12

Here is the link again:

How can I change what sync server the user machine is looking at?

Comment

Using the instructions in the Knowledge Base article I referred to in post no. 12

Here is the link again:

How can I change what sync server the user machine is looking at?
                              Sorry tried that.... I should have said...

Comment

If you really don't want to undertake a reinstall then you'll have to start double and triple-checking everything very carefully as there must be an error in your network settings somewhere. Remember, even a single piece of punctuation in the wrong place could throw a spanner in the works.

Are you absolutely certain that the new server has joined the same domain or workgroup as the two older PCs?

What is the current value of 'SyncServerURL'? Which machine does it point to?

Comment

Working...
                                X