Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freakmode
    And next month you may win a Golden Web Award - LOL
    Just reading this thread & got stuck on this bit!

Sorry to be ignorant but what happens if you win a Golden Web Award? Is it a scam? ..

Regards
    Jackie
    Original gifts for all occasions by British Artists and Designers

http://www.giftedindesign.co.uk

Comment

I think it was supposed to be a joke Jackie, indicating that if you fall for one scam, there will always be another one waiting to get another slice of the action.

Comment

In the 70's, Marvel comics used to award a NoPrize to any reader who would write in having spotted a continuity error in one of the storylines.
        Lots of eager young readers would write in, and then wait by their letter box for their coverted NoPrize to arrive.
        Of course nothing came... as it was a No Prize.

Not a scam as such, but thought you might find it funny...

Comment

George Please look back here

I would still be interested to know or what this magazine is. As I said I and I am sure others have a proffesional interest.

Thanks
          Owner of a broken heart

Comment

For those of you who do not know the Golden Web Awards do actually exist although their site seems to be down at the moment.

You have to fill in all your sites info, addy, description, etc, then, should you get accepted you get to use their logo on your site saying you have been awarded a Golden Website Award, and have been approved by them. You can also buy framed certificates, etc for your office wall.

Yes. We did qualify and proudly had their logo on our site for a few weeks way, way back in internetty time.

Re: SotMonth. Still pending at the moment.
            Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

That will teach me to open my big mouth <g>

Comment

Oh, and I was quite chuffed when I `won` it as well.
                Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

dont waste ya money!

This may sum it up in one! A national magazine rang us out off the blue one day
                  And asked if we would like 2 feature one of our products in there publication free of charge ,so we sent the product in .some people within our company said lets buy a few thousand we r going to rake it in ..The mag came out on the 1 Feb 05
                  The bag was in a in ya face position middle ish page with web site www.
                  We sold 3 bags to the value of £45 and say £150 different bags
                  This ad cost us not one penny ..!!!!

Comment

Its a printed magazine with pages, staples and ad things that fall out
                    If they're scammers, they may be pretending to be from a well known mag, to lend some credibility.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by vissap
                      We sold 3 bags to the value of £45 and say £150 different bags
                      This ad cost us not one penny ..!!!!
                      Often hard to put a figure on sales from advertising as many leads may come back months later to re-order after the ad is long forgotten - also worth bearing in mind that by providing free samples etc as vissap did you are also adding to the worth of the magazine for the owners - this cannot be under estimated (esp if you have a good product) and is worth raising with anyone looking for your money in advertising.

Bikster
                      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I like CB's reply - I'm currently fighting off myriads of blasted "business directories" - printed and internet - the big one at the moment is the Yahoo! directory - offering sold positions in local cities under similar categories to your local business pages - their pitch goes like this...

I can get you in front of about 200 unique visitors a month for only $150 per city... blah, blah...

then I show them some of our google placements and they generally shut up....
                        but not ALWAYS....
                        Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
                        Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
                        NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

its 3:30 am here in the black hills of North dakata, see me and three buffalo just finished watchen that there great infomercial about selling online with EBAY. Seems to be all the rage. Once we get that there internet service up here we plan on givin her a try!

By the way Chris its "Dead Dog Idaho" not North Dakota

Thats the difference between the US and the UK. In the UK shifty magazine folks ask for 200 quid to be a feature site of month "advertisement" Were in the US we demand 20k and gaciously call it an "infomercial".

I would have to say its Bogus.
                          Brian Johnson
                          :::Sure Solutions Inc:::Professional Actinic templates from Buythisdesign.com:::
                          1-732-528-7635 x203

Comment

Probably abit late now, but we find that any form of 'paid for' advert in the printed press just bombs. We do get the odd response, but they barely cover the cost of the ad.
                            However, when 'House beautiful' (glossy home magazine) featured one of our products and listed us a stockist - we got around 50 sales out of it - 4 months later we still get the odd sale off the back of it.
                            Suffice to say - we rarely advertise in print now. We chase editorial.

Nick
                            www.theperfectpad.co.uk
                            Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

[QUOTE=BPJSURF]me and three buffalo just finished watchen that there great infomercial about selling online with EBAY. /QUOTE]

Those widescreen TV's sure are big in the US

Picking up the thread again - it is often worth looking at doing readers offers in conjunction with a printed magazine - these should be done without charge to the supplier - the magazine gets the kudos by offering a fantastic deal to their readership and the supplier gets at least a free advert and hopefully sales thereafter.

We currently provide a free gift when anyone takes out a yearly subscription with a national broadsheet - the broadsheet pay for the items at substantially reduced rates so they are seen to be giving them away at a large value - we make a very small margin on the product but then we have their mailing list and have received many orders at the full price - everyone is happy.

Bikster
                              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Building Links

Originally posted by garyhay
                                HOW IT WORKS

I phone 6 companies in the local/international area (I say local because its more plausible for me) tell them they have won a Grampian Area site of the month award and will be listed in my site. Hell I dont even need payment but could take one if I was really going for it. I send them a graphic/code that links back to my site. 6 reciprical links. You have one on each on thier homepages and they have one buried away in some meanlesss part of my site.

I was just re-reading this, as I am still trying to get a ranking on Google, and wondered if this was a ploy to build links to/from your site to help with SEO.

Thanks
                                Sally Dickson
                                Creative Catalogues Online - Brands & E-shops

E-shops:
                                The Official Paddington Bear Shop
                                The Official Bang on the Door Shop
                                The Official Flower Fairies Shop
                                The Official Miffy shop
                                The Official Maisy Shop

Also: www.toysandgifts.co.uk
                                www.jeuxetcadeaux.fr
                                Ebay