Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I going to get sued under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I going to get sued under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA)?

First of all, it is worth stating that the section of Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) that mentions accessible websites was actually put into force way back in 1999. The new laws implemented in October 2004 are to do with physical access to buildings, and are nothing to do with accessible websites.

The relevant sections from the DDA (1999) are as follows:
    5.23 (p71): “For people with visual impairments, the range of auxiliary aids or services which it might be reasonable to provide to ensure that services are accessible might include ... accessible websites.”
    5.26 (p68): “For people with hearing disabilities, the range of auxiliary aids or services which it might be reasonable to provide to ensure that services are accessible might include ... accessible websites.”

So, there is no specific information provided by the government to help web site designers. However, it is widely accepted that if a site can be shown to be compliant with the Priority 1 guidelines from the W3C (or the 'A' standard from Bobby) that your site can be considered accessible. The EU also has guidelines on accessible websites, which state that the Priority 2 (or 'AA') guidelines should be met. Actinic meets most of these, but misses out on full compliance by using tables to control the layout of pages rather than CSS stylesheets.

It is worth stating, in conclusion, that the sort of sites which organisations like the RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind) are really critical of are sites that are purely driven by Flash, or sites which are nothing but images. Actinic sites comply with all of the Priority 1 guidelines (and most of the Priority 2 ones) - and they are static html, with a consistent layout, full use of ALT text and no reliance on JavaScript for controlling layout. They are not the sort of sites which the DDA was set up to eliminate.

With thanks to WebCredible (http://www.webcredible.co.uk/)

Good post Chris, I have spoken to the DRC many times and they have also said that they will not hit a site owner who is doing whatever they have the ability to do.
    Old Bald & Stupid, but more than compensated for by being born Welsh.
    Umbrella Consultancy <a href="http://www.umbrella-consultancy.co.uk/search-engine-optimisation-reports.htm"><font color="#000000">Search Engine Optimisation Reports</font></a>.

Comment

"Guess we will see the Daily Telegraph in large print/braille and voice forms on the shelves soon then."

My other-half works with disability affect clients everyday and as far as she can tell these rules, regulations and laws are unworkable as are many laws introduced to make life easier for anyone with a disability.

Sorry it just gets my goat up.
      Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Look here

http://www.websynergi.com/accessibility/index.htm

http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-fr...irements.shtml

http://www.w3c.org/WAI/

There is a lot of hype going around at the moment that web sites that do not comply will be forced to close, but I cannot see how this could be policed. I think you have to be practical and reasonable about this whole issue.
        Supporting the environment. This post uses 100% recycled electrons.
        Bob Isaac
        Director/Web Admin
        Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Actinic MS Business Version 8.5.2

Comment

The legislation has holes in it that you can drive a tank through. It is probably THE most ambiguous piece of junk ever passed through parliament.
          Old Bald & Stupid, but more than compensated for by being born Welsh.
          Umbrella Consultancy <a href="http://www.umbrella-consultancy.co.uk/search-engine-optimisation-reports.htm"><font color="#000000">Search Engine Optimisation Reports</font></a>.

Comment

There is a lot of hype going around at the moment that web sites that do not comply will be forced to close, but I cannot see how this could be policed.
            It cannot be policed as there is nothing outlined in the law which states what level of compatability you are meant to have.

However, if a site simply cannot be used by a screenreader (usually because it is pure flash) then there is a clear case for saying 'this site is not accessible'.

Comment

I agree with Chris, it would be impossible to Police but I think there has to be a small level of compromise e.g. not an entire site in Flash so a screen reader could read it and the site was still acessible to disabled people.
              Cheers,

Ollie
              The Classic Network

Comment

If someone tried to sue me over this issue I would 'counter-sue' the DRC for disability discrimination towards my lack of ability to produce such a website.

Many thanks (not) to the u.s. for encouraging the u.k. to import this ludicrous moneyspinning "me sue you" culture

Just my 2p worth,

Mick
                Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

I have had one issue with a customer who is blind complaining the card entry details box times out before she can finish entering the information. Otherwise she loves the site and has no problems (unlike some of my competitors who don't use Actinic). She doesn't have an issue with sending the order through and phoning the card number ( she does like to chat! ), but I thought I ought to tell you.
                  Miranda Stamp
                  Twinkle Twinkle
                  www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk
                  Cloth nappies, natural toiletries, organic baby clothing, potty training aids, slings and more...

Comment

THanks for the feedback Miranda. That is really heartening to hear.
                    the card entry details box times out
                    What system do you use for credit card security? Do you use a PSP, your own SSL, Actinic's Shared SSL or the Java Applet?

Comment

We use SSL currently. It may just be that customer as I know I have at least one other blind customer who I think manages OK (but it may be she gets someone else to enter the card number)

I am still trying to get my HSBC integration set up and working, after 14 months of trying (I only get time to have a pop at it once a month or so). HSBC are....not my favourite people.
                      Miranda Stamp
                      Twinkle Twinkle
                      www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk
                      Cloth nappies, natural toiletries, organic baby clothing, potty training aids, slings and more...

Comment

Relevant news item, for those that are interested:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/new...466742,00.html
                        Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Well spotted Nick
                          Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Working...
                          X