buying domain names - advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying domain names - advice please

I'm about to buy a new domain name for a new (non shopping) site - so far only the .com has been taken for this particular domain. I was about to buy the .co.uk but though i'd quickly run it past you guys. .net, .biz etc etc is available. Is there anything I should be aware of when purchasing - tips etc.

Cheers

Nick
    Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

I assume you don't own the .com site? Be wary of buying a domain which already exists just with a different extension - this could cause you loss of traffic with people going to the .com version and not yours. If the domain is part of their trading name or trademark then be very wary as they may take issue and legal recourse.

Still all is fair in love and war. I would personally go for the .co.uk if you are UK based

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

also make sure the com isn't in the same line of business as you, you could get accused of passing yourselves off as them

Quite often I advise people to buy both the co.uk and com to avoid confusion but i wouldn't bother with the rest

Comment

Quite often I advise people to buy both the co.uk and com to avoid confusion but i wouldn't bother with the rest
        I would agree with that.

I assume you don't own the .com site? Be wary of buying a domain which already exists just with a different extension - this could cause you loss of traffic with people going to the .com version and not yours
        I even do this to a friend and often e-mail his namesake in the US and boy does he get pissed with me sometimes when sending 5Mb images
        Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Thanks for all this advice

Stupidly, when I bought my main domain (theperfectpad.co.uk), the .com was available but I didn't buy it - a month later when I tried to buy it it had gone to an estate agents in the states.

You live and learn as they say!

I've heard of companies that you can register with so that when a domain name you want becomes available, they buy it for you the second it is available (detagged?) - has anyone heard of this?

Nick
          Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

has anyone heard of this
            Rip Off. You can monitor that yourself
            Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Working...
            X