thinking of actinic shared SSL - any experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thinking of actinic shared SSL - any experiences

I'm thinking of getting actinic shared SSL because customer feedback is getting more and more nervy about the simple encryption. However the shared SSL will take them away from our domain name, now if I were shopping that might worry me a bit, if I noticed.

Anybody have any good / bad feedback, either your own or from customers?

Cheers,
    Meg
    www.compendia.co.uk
    Compendia Traditional Games and Puzzles
    www.toogoods-games.co.uk
    Wooden carrom board handmade in the UK

If your going to use `shared ssl` I wouldn't worry too much as most customers will not have heard of Actinic, Worldpay, Sleezypay or whatever. We use our webhosts (Claranet) shared ssl at the moment and have explained this in our FAQ page, quoting `supplied by our award winning webhosts` to help ease any doubts the customer has. Seems to work okay for us so far.
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Personally I would recommend getting your own SSL cert. You can buy one from instant SSL for less than a shared SSL cert.

The first thing to do however is check what your hosting company supports, re SSL certs, shared SSL etc

Comment

compendia,

search the forum for shared ssl - you'll find that this topic comes up regularly, and we've seen many opinions - I'm with Jo on getting your own - instantSSL.com and RapidSSL.com (formerly freeSSL.com) are both really affordable dedicated certs - and we don't/won't offer shared SSL to our clients... from a hosting company and actinic developer standpoint.

regards

Greg Hewitt-Long
        Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
        Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
        NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Many thanks, guys, for those addresses I'm very enthusiastic about these lower priced ones, my own hosting people were about £500 so you can see why I wanted the shared option,

I'm off to learn loads more ssl's,
          www.compendia.co.uk
          Compendia Traditional Games and Puzzles
          www.toogoods-games.co.uk
          Wooden carrom board handmade in the UK

Comment

May be worth adding something like George suggests regarding the inbuilt security (if you haven't done so already or beef it up if you have) until you get your own SSL sorted

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
            X