Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norton Internet Security slowing my site

Hi,

I know this not particularly an Actinic problem but it is driving me mad and hope somebody can help.

For some reason all the computers in the office running Norton Internet Security are reporting an intrusion attempt whenever we access our website which is www.printerbase.co.uk but it is only our website it happens with.

This results in the site becoming very slow and unresponsive on the local PC, the intrusion listed by Norton is:
    Attempted Intrusion "HTTP IIS ISAPI Printer BO" from your machine against www.printerbase.co.uk(217.72.180.90) was detected and blocked
    Intruder: localhost(2687)
    Risk Level: Medium
    Protocol: TCP
    Attacked IP: www.printerbase.co.uk(217.72.180.90)
    Attacked Port: http(80)

We've scanned for viruses and spyware, tried IE and FireFox but still no joy, it has only started happening since Wednesday and we haven't installed or done anything to either the PC's or the website.

We are also getting the same reports from some customers running Norton as well.

I would be very grateful if anyone running Norton IS could try our site and let me know if the same happens and hopefully help me shed some light on what is going on.

Peter
    Printerbase - Colour & Mono Laser Printers

Peter

I have seen this in the last week. A stack_overflow attempt. It seems to stem from having Google Ads on the cart and checkout pages.

I dont use Norton in the office so can't check your site just now. try www.motouk.net as thats where I noticed it
    Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Hi,

I tried www.motouk.net but it worked fine with no problems.

I just can't work out what the problem is, my hosting company are remaing silent on the matter.

Thanks

Peter

Comment

I have norton security 2005 and I get an alert saying that as well. Not happening on www.motouk.net though.
        I don't like the way your form processing code looks so I would suggest you try perhaps recoding that.
        Jenny
        Hanson Web Design
        www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
        jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
        Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

NIS 2005 gave me 3 alerts and then would allow me to navigate to one page off the homepage but then locked everything down

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

My NIS is generally displeased with your site too, but fine with motouk.net

As an aside - I was about to renew my subscription to NIS unless anyone else out there can suggest something better. NIS seems to really slow down my PC. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Nick
            Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

I have to favour AVG by Grisoft. It is free for personal use and about 100 quid for a five desk commercial install. Almost daily (sometimes more) automatic definition updates and darned effective.

I am using Symantec on this machine, but all the family pc's use AVG.
              Bill
              www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
              Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
              BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
              Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
              VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
              Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks everybody.

At first I thought it might be a problem with the code so I did a basic test page:
                http://www.printerbase.co.uk/test1.htm
                But the problem still occurs with that page.

Anyway this morning Norton did an update through it's LiveUpdate service which appears to have updated it's Intrusion Detection signatures and the problem seems to have been fixed.
                Looking at the log in Norton they appear to have downgraded their signatures.
                The old version which was causing the problems was:
                2.0.0.50113 monitoring 439 signatures
                The new version is:
                1.9.1 monitoring 242 signatures
                It looks like they have rolled the signatures back to an older version.
                Still seems very strange it only seemed to effect our site.

Hopefully once Norton has been updated everything should be back to normal.

I will also have a look at my form processing code as well, thanks Jenny.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                X