Advice: Anti Virus, Spyware, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice: Anti Virus, Spyware, etc

I have just purchased another laptop and need to install/purchase software for Anti Virus, Spyware, etc, etc

What recommendations have forum users got to set me up so i'm as secure as possible?

Norton is probably the best but it's also the most awkward to use and does seem to cause all kinds of problems every now and then.

I stick with Zonealarm for the firewall and AVG for anti-virus. The free versions work perfectly and I've never heard of anyone using these having any problems with hackers or legitimate software.

I really only bother with spyware/adware checking if I think I might have a problem in which case I look on google and choose the tool that does the best job for that problem. I also let microsoft's anti-spyware checker download whenever the update manager wants to load it and that gives my system a regular once over.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

We use Norton Internet Security and have to say we have had no problems using this sofware at all. It blocks e-mail virus's and intrusions and we have had no conflicts with Actinic at all even when update/refreshing our website.

We also use Microsoft Anti-Spyware software again without any problems.

Just make sure both products are scheduled to update automatically to retrieve updates and you run scan disk on a regular basis (again you can do this automatically).

Hope this helps.

Comment

For a complete 'all-in-one' solution you can't beat F-Secure Internet security suite (www.f-secure.co.uk).

If you want the very best in every category, and put together your own security suite, you would use Agnitum Outpost Firewall (www.agnitum.com/), F-Prot antivirus (www.f-prot.co.uk/) and Webroot Spy Sweeper (www.webroot.com/).
        By the way, multi-licenses for Outpost & F-Prot are very reasonable especially compare with the better known (ie heavily advertised) players.

Personally, I've had nothing but trouble with anything Symantec, going back over a decade to the dark old days of DOS.
        ChrisL
        skype chrisjlyon

Comment

we use

Windows XP firewall
          spybot Search and destroy
          Lavasoft Ad Aware
          symantec anti virus

We also run a run system virus scan daily (scheduled to run overnight) and run Live update weekly

Comment

Norton Internet Security Suite
            Hardware Firewall
            Microsoft AntiSpyware
            Ad-Aware SE
            Spybot
            Angry IP Scanner (to check open ports)
            Sam Spade (to check open ports)

Unlike some I have never had a problem with NIS on any machine from Windows 3.11 to current - either lucky or careful with the settings.

Noticed Chris' option (f-secure) was available on one of the PC cover disks I saw last night - don't recall which though

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
            X