Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop advice

Hello all,

I was thinking of getting a laptop (need to spend much more time on my site!), but need abit of advice from you guys first.

Firstly, and maybe this is a stupid question, but can I use actinic from a laptop - including upload/download etc. Presumably the main issue is going to be hard disk space, and whether I can upload/download from different phone ports (maybe that doesn't matter if its from the same IP address?)

Secondly, assuming I can use one, can anyone recommend me a good laptop. As actinic users, you'll understand my needs pretty well. Aside from Actinic - I only really need to be able to use photoshop, dreamweaver and the usual MS office stuff.

Any advice would be warmly received.

Nick
    Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

You can't go wrong with Dell IMO. I've got a reconditioned Latitude and Actinic is fine on it. However I still use my PC for heavy duty photoshop work not because I don't think the notebook will take it, its just that the PC is more comfy with a bigger and better monitor.

Make sure you get both network card and modem cards.

Comment

I run an Acer Travelmate as my second installation for when I'm on the road.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

All the graphics on our site and all of the updates after Pinbrooks initial design were created with Photoshop and Fireworks on decent Sony laptops (currently a A397XP).

The problem with some laptops, is the quality of the screens. If you have a poor quality screen you can end up with graphics that might look fine on 'your' laptop, but on everyone else's computer the colours/brightness/contrast are well off what they should be (experience talking here! ).

Apart from that there's no problem working with modern laptops and a decent amout of RAM. We run all the programs you mention without any problems.

Graham

Comment

Thanks all - thats really helpful.

Nick
          Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Working...
          X