What should I do? K / mb / GB ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do? K / mb / GB ??

I've just been sent an e-mail to let me know that my Broadband speed is about to change from 300k to 1mb but only if I agree to a reduction in usage from 30gb to 3gb. If I'd rather keep the 300k and 30gb usage I have to opt out.

HELP!! I know that I really ought to know this sort of thing but really haven't got a clue.

Running an Actinic store am I better off with 1mb speed or 30gb usage. My initial thought is that I'm better off with more traffic as so far, the speed of connection for upload and downloads has been fine.

What should I do?

Thanks.

It probably depends on how large your site and how often you have to do an update or refresh.

30 Gbit / month (or should that be Byte - it usually is) is 1Gb per day (or 125KBytes).

3 Gbit / month is only 12.5KBytes per day.

Me? I'd avoid the issue and pay a bit more for a high speed unlimited service.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Take a look at your web stats package which should list the monthly file transfer sizes. You need to consider the penalty if you go above the 3Gb allocation which is often hefty. I agree with Mike, you should find another host with unlimted transfers (or a much higher limit) and get the extra speed.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Your talking about your connection to the Internet and not your actual website right? If so, then you will not get a sudden increase in your upload speed as this will be generally 128k or 256k, but never 512 or above in speed, so although you may get a jump in download speed for your visiting of your and other sites you surf, it will not benefit your speed of uploading your site, unless you are hosting your site yourself on your broadband connection ofcourse.

Comment

This is probably a really stupid question (but I'm full of those) - I've always just stayed with NTL - I kind of know that the service (or lack of it) that I receive is probably less than basic but never really needed to change before so didn't bother.

Have just called their customer services who didn't know much apart from the fact that NTL are putting caps on all of their services of 3g usage per month and are unable to offer unlimited usage (I'm currently on a Home not Business package - they couldn't advise on their business packages) - another irritant is that the mailbox is bounced after 10k so if suppliers are sending images - quite often, they fill the mailbox and bounce. Is this the same with all providers or is it also quite low?

Where on earth do I start looking for a broadband provider (don't have a BT line)? Are the only two things to look out for a high speed (but how high?) and an unlimited usage capacity?

Any suggestions / recommendations gratefully received.

Thank you.

Comment

If you lines into the property are provided by the cable companies, then you are pretty much stuck with NTL, unless you have another cable provider which you can switch to, but dont think that will be possible.

The only other solution is to get a BT line installed and then sign up for an ADSL service.

Sorry, but as you are on cable now anway, your options are limited.

Obviously, I say get a BT line, but any line which is not cable is what I mean

Comment

Thanks for the responses. It does look as though I'm a little stuck at the moment. Found a site called Broadband Checker and made lots of phone calls - they do all seem to point me in the direction of a BT line.

In order to buy some time I've opted out of the speed change and told NTL I'd rather stick with the 30gb usage a month at my current speed but I would like to sort everything out before things get too busy.

A BT line's on my list of things to do but the only options that seem to be showing unlimited usage are AOL & Tesco - does this sound about right or am I looking in the wrong places still?

Thanks

Comment

Hi

You could try Zen - they offer unlimited packages both home and business and their service is second to none.

Cheers
                Ian
                Commercial Cleaning Cambridgeshire

Comment

Spark

Have you tried the obviouse, I checked the NTL website and found they are offering 750K business line unlimited with hyperlink to order forms etc at

http://business.ntl.com/internet_pro...d_lite_750.php
                  Chris Ashdown

Comment

I am developing a website using Actinic Business for a photographer who wishes to offer downloadable images for license and sale. I am looking for a suitable host which offers value for money for data storage in the order of tens of Gb. Zen looks to be a reasonable option - approximately £250 (inc VAT) for 20Gb.

Can anyone recommend any other hosts? It is taking ages to find possibles then an eternity to hunt through their small print to find the details I need.

Thanks, Nik

Comment

Thank you again - and thanks Chris - all sorted! By the time I actually managed to speak to a human being at NTL Home yesterday, I was totally confused about what was / wasn't available through them. On the basis of that I kind of lost hope with NTL altogether. You're right though sometimes the obvious is the easiest - their business section does everything I need and were actually really helpful (I'm in a state of shock!).

Its all ordered and hopefully won't cause too many configuration issues when installed. Another thing I can tick off my now very, very long to-do list.

Thank you.

Sonia

Comment

Working...
                      X