Thick Rubber Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thick Rubber Band

This will seem like a dumb question, but.....
    I'm on dial up at the moment, and it's looking like I'm going to have to move to another ISP so I can get Actinic to work.
    If I go over to this fancy broadband thing, can I use it at home as well as at work with my one computer? I do all my work through my laptop, and at the end of the day I go home and do a little more at home. With dial up this is easy. Can it be just as easy with broadband?
    What I'm getting at is I don't want to have to pay for broadband twice, one at work and one at home.
    Do BT have to do anything to the phone line (cost?) and I guess the broadband modem thing plugs into the phone line?

AND (sorry this is getting to be a long question!!) am I right in saying that I can use one company to connect to the internet (with broadband) and another different company to host my web site and e-mail?

At the moment I pay £19.99 inc vat per month for web hosting, e-mail and free dial-up, I don't have to pay for the phone calls. So all I pay at the moment is £19.99 per month all in, which seems pretty good to me.
    Do you think I can have (slow-cheap) broadband and web hosting etc for about the same price?

Sorry to ask so many questions!

Cheers,
    Matt Savage

www.mattsavage.com

Broadband is specific to the login location, so getting broadband at your work will not cover you at home...

Broadband is set up on the actual line and is dependant on the local exchange provided by BT, so afraid you will not be able to use it at 2 locations - just physically impossible to achieve... Sorry

Comment

Bugger!!
      Well, thanks for your reply.

Does anyone know an ISP that can offer free dial-up (ie not paying for the phone call) and web hosting, e-mail etc. Oh, and it must work with Actinic? All for about £19.99 per month!

Cheers,
      Matt

Comment

The good news though, is that you can contract with anybody to host your website and have email on that site as well as the email you have from your connection supplier.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Well, plenty of hosts within this forum for you to pick from, us included, but from a point of view of everything within a certain budget and in one place, that is a bit like how long a piece of string is, so could not say...

Maybe look at a host here for your Actinic site, and then look at a dial up account with the likes of AOL maybe, where you can use the freephone number to dial into its network, regardless of the land line in most cases used, i.e. I believe they offer ntl, bt and other provider service connection numbers where you pay a fixed monthly amount with them, so no call charges....

Comment

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Spending time there will be worth your while. Thats a promise!

Comment

hummmm. So how much would you charge me for hosting my Actinic Catalog?
              Cheers,
              Matt

Comment

Thanks for the ADSL guide link. But I'm a tiny business making no money, and I need the cheapest solution at the moment. When I'm turning over loads a money each year, then I'll splash out on that new fangled broardband stuff.

Cheers,
                Matt

Comment

Generally nowadays the difference in price of dial up to broadband is nothing, and in some case can be sought cheaper than dialup, but this is obviously on a per location basis, which as you need 2 locations, then dialup would be the end cheaper solution on the face of it, but maybe with some serious digging around you might find a supplier willing to provide cut down services or suggest such cut down services...

Comment

Matt

You could say have broadband at your office where you will probably find it more useful and do your uploading of Actinic whilst at the office

For your home you can still use you dial-up and just download your orders using it

Actinic will run quite happy on dial-up as we all did so not that many months ago and its only when you get quite a large site with lots of pictures that it takes time to upload

Also when Actinic issues a upgrade then you need broadband

WHY does Actinic not work with your present ISP?

Many ISP's offer a cheap basic solution but also will be happy to upgrade you to the next level

Actinic does not have much of a requirement, you can download the actual requirements from the Actinic site, The only think I would advise is if possible use a linux server as these seem to be more frendly to actinic, though i run one of my sites on windows via Fasthosts and have no problems

PS How much is your BA102 for a disco 1 and do you do secondhand rear doors?
                    Hope this gives you a little help
                    Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi chris. I don't sell the BA 102 anymore. If I could get my Actinic Catalog working you'd see!!!!
                      We now do GAD006 for the Disco 1, which is basicaly the same thing. A black powder coated A bar, this is £127.43 inc vat, carriage £10.00.

Cheers,
                      Matt

Comment

Broadband is very handy for doing the (enforced) refreshes that Actinic needs occasionally.
                        Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

tiscali and telewest are currently offering BB at £14.50 pm

i don't know what the service is like but it is a cheap starter option.

I use telewest and find them excellent however i have their 4mb option

Comment

The difference in price between dial up and broadband makes it not worth considering dial up - you will save more in man hours, hair pulling and the ability to change the site to meet a customer need than the extra monthly charges.

Bear in mind the adage you get what you pay for - look out for bandwidth limits that can be quite restrictive on the cheaper hosting packages - one one site I have had over 40mb of bandwidth taken up by search engine spiders since last Thursday alone!

Bikster
                            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks for the broardband info. But I need two! One for home and one for work. Any ideas as to anyone that does a good deal for two??

Cheers,
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X