X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Including text on images

Hi
    Im hoping someone can help!
    Its probably really simple!, but im having real problems including text on my photos in photoshop.
    Basically the text looks really jaggedy and unfinished when I upload them onto the preview site.

Im using photoshop, opening a new file dragging part/all of the selected photo onto the new file, then typing on that.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong, Im fine with photoshop but this is my first website!
    Hope you can help

Helz x

from what you are saying it sounds like you are typing onto an already resized and compressed image. I always type onto the full size image and then reduce the size and compress this will give a smooth edge to the text.

If that does not fix it post an image and I will have a look at it.

Comment

Hi
      Im dragging an already resized picture onto a new file and then writing in the blank part of the new file?
      Ive attached file
      Attached Files

Comment

I thought so. You need to work on the original full size image and then resize and compress this should maintain the quality.

Comment

Hi Malcom
          We're abit confused as the text is an entirely different layer to the photo on a transparent background, how is that layer effecting the text?

Comment

Hi Helen

I've moved this thread to 'Any Other Business' just because it isn't an Actinic-related issue. Hope that's OK.

Comment

no help to the post but just wanted to say I *love* that apron in the photo!!
              Can't wait to see your whole website (I have a *thing* for aprons..LOL)
              When are you hoping to open?
              Tracey

Comment

Hi Tracey
                Its gorgeous isnt it! We are open now, just changing a few things!(hopefully!)
                www.helbentdesigns.co.uk

Helz x

Comment

What a great looking website. Its someting to do with the fact that the text should be saved as a gif but is being saved as a jpeg that creates the ragged look but by adding the text to a large image then resizing you maintain the quality. You seem to have managed it ok in the larger images on your site which look very good.

Comment

Uuuurgh, hope you weren't expecting too many male customers Waaay to much pink!
                    Blushingbuyer, banishing blushes since 2000.
                    http://www.blushingbuyer.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Helz
                      Hi Malcom
                      We're abit confused as the text is an entirely different layer to the photo on a transparent background, how is that layer effecting the text?
                      If the background layer is already saved and optimised for the internet - even though you are placing a new layer over the top you are saving both layers - so the background layer will compress again if saving as a JPEG... but this does not appear to be what is happening in the attached file.

Are you saving the image as a GIF file? That is probably going to be the best format looking at the colours. In Photoshop also check you are using anti-aliased font settings when entering the text and that you are saving at a relatively high palate (number of colours) setting otherwise you may be losing some of the definition in the text.

When exporting the file try saving at around 86 dpi - whilst monitors tend to display at 72 dpi this will allow for a small increase in information without adding hardly anything to the file size overhead and may make all the difference.

Bikster
                      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi there - not sure if you already tried this but try setting the anti-aliasing method of the text to "smooth". To do this, select the text (open the layer and hight the text), then in the "characters" panel, set the anti-alias option to "smooth" (you have a choice of none, sharp, crisp etc.). This should help somewhat.

Hope I haven't repeated anybody else comments - typing this very quickly as need to head out and only scanned the thread briefly.

Kind Regards

Kevin
                        KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Hi again!

Just wanted to say thanks so much for all your help, Ive only just got round to sorting it out... changed the font!!!and now it looks fine, did all your 'smooth' suggestions which definetly helped but making it to a bolder text seemed to work better.
                          Thanks again
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X