Big Brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Brother

I've only been trading for a couple of months and I've already received requests for charity donations. The most recent was from the production team for Big Brother. They have asked for some board games to put in the house to BB2007. However they have said that if I donate sufficient products, they would ‘endevour’ (my quotes, their mis-spelling) to credit my shop on the BB website – they stress the popularity of their site.

I admit I’m intrigued, but I’m not convinced by the terms of their offer (and I don’t think their viewers are typical of my customers).

Alan Compton
    www.greenknightgames.co.uk
    Great board games and cards games you won't find in the High Street

We supplied BB two years ago with some sports equipment, not much value involved but gave them it free. The link we got from their site was next to useless (buried away where nobody looked), we received a tiny amount of click throughs from the link and got no sales.

Guess it depends on your product, you won't have much to lose I guess but it was certainly a waste of time for us. You would think that with the money Channel 4 and Endemol have they would be able to purchase their own board games!!!!!

David
    Cheers

David
    Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

For a multi million pound company the producers of BB are the biggest blaggers on the planet. (As are the production company behind Graham Nortons shows). After giving a few TV shows some products for free, but never actually getting a site credit or mention now the answer is no, unless you can give me a written contract that we will get a mention, otherwise you can buy the products like everyone else.
      Blushingbuyer, banishing blushes since 2000.
      http://www.blushingbuyer.co.uk

Comment

An a lesser note we've supplied some stuff to "Eastenders" this week, lol.
        Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Best to think of it more of a marketing tool from your site eg "as seen on Big Brother" and what is anything that is worth to your customers ...... or "we definitely did not supply Eastenders"

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Big Brothers the biggest waste of tv space ever for me. Sitting in a house, erm, watching people in a, erm, house. Although some incidents in the house are maybe worth watching, erm, cough, apparently.
            Football Heaven

Comment

Thankfully missed that "incident"

I know the guy who supplied all the "silver" panels to the outside of the house in the early days - cost them an absolute fortune and did not get any acknowledgements whatsoever!

Bikster

Comment

I was building a kitchen a few years ago and designed in an unusual Franke sink. Then I found out it had been featured in the Big Brother kitchen. As the hole in the granite was already cut it was too late to change it
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

We get approached at the shop on a regular basis by site location scouts.
                  In the early days I thought 'what great publicity!!!', but as others have said, they generally take advantage, and give you next to nothing back in terms of acknowledgement or credit.
                  The blaggers who do the approaching, generally have absolutely no say whatsoever in the final production, and no influence in getting you a credit.
                  If you go ahead, the production staff (directors, cameramen, lighting engineers and general hanngers on), treat you and your permises like they own it.
                  We now turn down all approaches point blank, even when offers of payment are sounded, as experince has taught me that we have little or nothing to gain, and much wasted time and lost revenue to lose.
                  I know this thread is about product blagging, but the principal is the same.
                  I have a sneaking suspicion that these peeps have a set budget with which to 'acquire' props, and that the less they spend, the greater the bonus they get for themselves (oh what a cynic I am!).

Comment

Originally posted by george
                    An a lesser note we've supplied some stuff to "Eastenders" this week, lol.
                    Make sure you have stock when it's featured George, last product we had on Eastenders, the supplier sold off all the stock to France the week the product appeared!!
                    Needless to say we ran out of our stock very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by buspassjohn
                      Make sure you have stock when it's featured George, last product we had on Eastenders, the supplier sold off all the stock to France the week the product appeared!!
                      Needless to say we ran out of our stock very quickly.

Yeah, and we also have occasional bulk orders from the likes of Coca Cola, RB of S and Scottish and Newcastle too. So sometimes its hard to `balance` stock.
                      Football Heaven

Comment

One of my big regrets is supplying a Manchester United shirt to Granada Studios for Coronation Street and my missus throwing out that weeks tv guide with `Rocky` the chip shop owner pictured in it. Have been unable to find that pic online too. Grrr.
                        Football Heaven

Comment

Whew! What a lot of replies. Thanks to everyone who answered. You've all confirmed my original thoughts: that I should treat this with caution. I'm not giong to pursue it.

Still, it was a more interesting approach that the previous one - a charity wanting products for their guest celebs' goody bags!

Alan

Comment

There back again today in the form of "Celebrity" Big Brother

Bikster

Comment

We get quite a few orders for props from photographers, art directors and theatre company buyers. They all pay up front and no quibble about having to pay.

If I was asked to supply for free then I'd do it on a placement arrangement and I want credited and a decent link for the supply. But then again it would have to be worth the expense for the exposure to an audience that would be interested in buying what we have.

Duncan
                              Ph: 0845 838 1 839

Comment

Working...
                              X