Resolution for problems opening or saving Excel files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution for problems opening or saving Excel files

I encountered a problem with Excel last night whereby the program would freeze when trying to open or save a file.

This is just to let anyone else know that may be experiencing a similar problem, that I have found the solution.

The problem is caused by a recent Windows Security Update (MS06-015), which will most likley self install if you have automatic updates in place.

The resolution can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165?

Thanks Martin, I've been having the problem they describe with Windows Explorer, and failed to find this fix when I searched. Now to see if it works
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
      Thanks Martin, I've been having the problem they describe with Windows Explorer
      Ditto - I thought it was just me - so much for that MS update!

Comment

Bill

The solution offered seems to cover a whole range of problems this security update has caused, including with Windows Explorer. Would have been nice if Microsoft also sent notification of such problem issues (via the same automatic update), as soon as they are raised to save us having to search out the solution.

Haven't fully tested the result yet, but 'seems' to have cured my problem.
        Don't forget to restart windows after patching the registry, and have fun entering the long number as instructed, as I couldn't manage to cut and paste it from the windows page!

Martin

Comment

I had no problem doing the cut and paste, but then I used Opera to do it
          Bill

Comment

Thanks so much for posting this - I haven't had a problem but got a call from friend in village who always calls us if she has problems with her pc and she spoke to my other half about something - he popped round and couldn't work out what was going on - when he got back I asked what problem was and when he told me i went "argh sure I read about something similar this morning" and sure enough that's what the problem was so fix should be in place later!!!!!!!

Kathy
            Kathy Newman

Comment

Glad to be of service

A problem that is likely to affect so many people, but have Microsoft spoken up beyond posting a fix hidden away on their site?

Its odd that they can send us automatic updates that screw the computer, but can't send automatic fixes to correct them!

Martin

Comment

The update from MS is out today http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165
                Bill

Comment

Working...
                X