Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Card fraud paranoia

Hi

On the old website we took payment details using a 3rd party collection agent and then processed them manually. The merchant account was with the Bank of Ireland and the result was either pass or fail. There was never much evidence of any checking going on. Very little failed and when it did I went back to the customer.

Now I am using Protx (and Streamline) so I have loads more information about checks being done and scoring. The problem is that I'm getting paranoid that every transaction which fails a check might be fraudulent. Should I be seriously worried, for example, if a UK transaction fails the address numerics or postcode checks? In one particular example of this I have checked that the postcode is that address and the electoral roll shows people with that surname (but not the same christian name) living there.

Anyone out there like to tell me how they approach the results of the Protx checks? I'm taking orders worldwide so most of the foreign stuff fails somewhere along the line.

I was caught out in small way by a fraudster last year but he was a pro and is currently serving 4 years in a US goal for various offences of credit card fraud. He did the old con of ordering on his own card and then claiming not to have received the goods so no amount of checks would have caught him. Where I was too naive was that I agreed to ship using his Fedex account and of course when it came to it I couldn't get any info out of them as to who had signed for the goods. Simple really - just thought I would mention it for the benefit of others new to the scam. It turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to us in the end - but that's another story .....

Thanks

Bridget

Bridget
    Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy paranoia.
    We process card details manually but do use the AVS check (& others) and if it fails it simply doesn't get despatched. Everything that does go is shipped by our courier and signed for on delivery. Because of the type of products we sell we have been a target of would-be fraudsters on many occassions but since the implementation of the AVS checks we have not been caught out (touch wood).
    http://www.phoenix-pcs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X