Email spoofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email spoofing

Is anyone familiar with the process whereby a mass spammer chooses the site from which the emails appear to come ie hjkldcg@awellknownsite.com? Is it a vulnerability with the awellknownsite.com's processes, and/or is it simply that the spammer simply picks a name that the receiver is likely to recognise (despite the fact that the name before the @ is often gibberish)?

And, no, I'm not thinking of going into the spamming business.....

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

It relies on the fact that most people/servers have a catch-all email set-up which means that anything@ will get through.

Comment

Thanks Malcom - forgive me for being dim, but do you mean that awellknownsite.com has a catchall which allows them to receive anything@awelknownsite.com (and the spammer takes advantage of this in order to send emails to others), or that the email addresses that the spammer is sending to have catchalls set up?

Comment

Doooh - me not reading your post correctly, I thought you meant how do they get emails into a domain rather than from. I did read about how it was done a couple of weeks ago I will see if i can dig it out.

Comment

All is expalined here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=bar_sch_nam

Comment

Thanks Malcolm

Comment

Working...
            X