Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dmoz description

Hi,

I've just noticed that if I do a standard search for my site in Google the description underneath the main heading is taken from the dmoz.org description of my site and not the meta description I put in there with actinic. Anyone else come across this? How do I get it to list my description and not the dmoz one??

Cheers
    www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co.uk

Google respect the NOODP meta tag - in fact if you look at the google webmaster support page they tell you this and a lot more. They also offer a tick box on the sitemap interface where you can opt out of using the DMOZ description.

[aside - please don't take this personally ] I am always amazed at people who say "I don't like the DMOZ description of my site" as if the people at ODP were doing something wrong. The DMOZ description should be an accurate, factual description of what a surfer will find on your site. [ no superlatives, no comparisons, just an honest content summary ]
    If it is not accurate, you can request an update by going to the page where it is listed. If it is factual and it is not what you want to see, then you control the content of your site - change the content so it can be honestly described as you want it to be.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Hi Bill,

It's just that I've never come across this before. If it's not a problem I'll leave it as it is

Cheers
      www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X