Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer says 114.56

I'm hoping someone has some advice!

My father put my Sony digital camera (W50) in his pocket, out of the case and has scratched the plastic over the tft screen. He then tried to TCut the screen thinking he could remove the light scratches, in fact, he removed part of the coating on the screen too. It is difficult enough to take a good photo, but almost impossible when you can't see the screen clearly!

I've just phoned sony and the conversation went something like this.

Hi, I need a quote to get some work done on my digital camera
    > 114.56

I don't understand, is that to ha..
    > 114.56

You mean, if I need anything doing it's 114.56
    > 114.56

The camera was only 150.00
    > 114.56
    So, I phoned elsewhere and the answer has been "We don't work on Sony cameras"

Has anyone had any work done at a sensible price on their Sony camera?

Thanks!

I also subscribe to a camera forum and this is a common occurance - they (most manufacturers) will charge you through the nose just to look at the camera without doing any work on it. Cynics say this is an attempt to get you to buy a new one for only a few pounds more or even less.

Unless you can prove it is faulty workmanship (scratches are always going to be through human wear and tear even it it is non-scratch) you are onto a rough ride. The advice from elsewehere is to claim on the household insurance if possible.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Personally I never use the screen to view when taking pics, I prefer to stick the camera up to my eye (viewfinder?). If you do this, you don't have to worry about getting the camera fixed...

or have I misunderstood?

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
        Personally I never use the screen to view when taking pics, I prefer to stick the camera up to my eye (viewfinder?). If you do this, you don't have to worry about getting the camera fixed...

or have I misunderstood?
        Alas that camera does not have an optical viewfinder

Bikster

Comment

Wait another 5 minutes, it will then be so out of date, you'll want the new version!

Comment

I broke the screen on my canon ixus 50, quoted about £150 for repair. Eventually found a shop(rang cannon UK) that would supply the screen on its own. Took the camera apart, fitted new screen, good as new. Total cost £30 for the screen and £5 for a set of micro screwdrivers from B+Q

No idea if this is feasable on a sony though.
            Blushingbuyer, banishing blushes since 2000.
            http://www.blushingbuyer.co.uk

Comment

Not sure where you get it but you can buy some plastic polish which removes small scratches and is used on light aircraft windscreens etc

It is like t cut but much less abrasive,

Found this site that may help

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/...stic_care.html

Actinic as well, keep it in the family
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

I never buy Sony as thier after sales and repairs are useless.

Comment

They have just bought out the SLR camera range from Minolta and cunningly using the legacy lens mounts - talk about making yourself a ready made market - shame the camera says Sony on the front

Bikster

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys n gals. I was hoping to buy a replacement piece of plastic that covers the tft screen (not thing is ever that simple!).

Originally posted by chris ashdown
                    It is like t cut but much less abrasive,

Found this site that may help

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/...stic_care.html

Actinic as well, keep it in the family
                    I've heard of this polish, so I can give that a go! It'll hopefully also take the stone chips out of my headlamp covers :-) All in all, it's not been a good week!

Comment

Working...
                    X