Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fraudulent Orders - Advice needed

Morning all

i need some advice about an order i received this morning.

i had a similar order a few days ago but i put it through.

the reasons that these come up as fraud on the HSBC system are: AVS do not match and they are paid by a card issud abroad

the first was in wolverhampton.

the one i received today is double the value, address is in london, gave mobile number instead of a landline.

i checked the address and it is correct.

i am planning to call the customer (just to verify a few things)

by the way his name is foreign (probable african)

One of my clients has had exactly the same happen to him. A couple of weeks ago he had an order which was flagged up by HSBC as being a card issued overseas - he acepted the risk as the address etc all matched. A few days later he had a bigger order which HSBC declined the card but he was on holiday so the order sat waiting. In the meantime he had another order for a much larger value which again HSBC flagged as a card issued overseas.

When we looked in more detail although the name and address was the same on each order the creditcards were different. He contacted the card holder by email saying that there was a problem with his card but never got a reply. It looks like this guy (Russian sounding name, mobile number, hotmail email) has a bunch of cards he is working his way through seeing what he can get on the internet.

There was a TV show the other week discussing how easy it is to buy credit card details from India so I guess this is what it leads to.

What happens now is that ANY transactions that are flagged by HSBC he intends to call the buyer and delay the dispatch. If they are a genuine customer then I dont think they will mind.

Comment

Hi Malcolm

we have emailed the transaction saying that the payment was rejected (in polite words)

we have asked the customer to order again through the website adding an invoice address that will match to the card's registered address.

we also planning to alter the first page of the checkout process with a message that they will need to add an invoice address if the card is regeistered elsewhere + landline needed instead of mobile...

we hope that the one that we approved does not come back and bite us...

thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Nobody likes to decline an order, but you have to decide if the potential loss of goods out weighs the loss in profit.

I declined an order yesterday (probably decline every 6 weeks or so)

for these reasons

high value order (6 times bigger than average order)
        order placed in US for delivery to Germany
        address did not match CC flagged by PSP
        both email addresses were for a domain registered yesterday
        the domain has "under construction" on it, incorrectly spelt

if the order was low value I might have allowed it, CC matches country, postcode validated, as did cvv.

The deciding factor to decline was the high order value

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
          The deciding factor to decline was the high order value
          Basic criminal greed - you would think low value off many websites rather than ten 60" Plasma Televisions from one site would be the way to go.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Bugger thats were i have been going wrong

Comment

Basic criminal greed
              Spot on - the order that triggered the decline was for 45 bottles of Champagne. Obviously to go with the 60 TVs

Comment

Originally posted by pnagames
                Morning all

i need some advice about an order i received this morning.

i had a similar order a few days ago but i put it through.

the reasons that these come up as fraud on the HSBC system are: AVS do not match and they are paid by a card issud abroad

the first was in wolverhampton.

the one i received today is double the value, address is in london, gave mobile number instead of a landline.

i checked the address and it is correct.

i am planning to call the customer (just to verify a few things)

by the way his name is foreign (probable african)
                No surprise but the customer never responded to my email or came back to put the order through again.

but i had a small surprise this morning when i downloaded the orders, the first gentleman that i approved his order had come back. tried to ordered four times the same thing (substantial order for my standards) but for some reason he did not go through to the hsbc processing stage (hmmmm?????)

i hope his first order does not come back to bite me...

Comment

We didn't process the order I flagged on the 8th, we sent an email asking for an address that would match the checks done by PSP. Didn't get a reply.

Comment

I've been having multiple orders from the same place for multiple units of the same item.

There are obvious mistakes that give the scam away but it's catching those that look OK.
                    I delay for as long as possible and would only ship to the invoice address and not the delivery address. After all that's the one being checked for the card.

If I get a 3rd man warning then it sits waiting for an email saying where's my order. Then I go through a verification process to double check it's kosher.

Duncan
                    Ph: 0845 838 1 839

Comment

Just had a charge back from a stolen card for goods supplied (thankfully only £60). The fool used his real name and works address.. a quick Google search has found his works number (no reply to email or phone as supplied) and a quick call has established he does indeed work there.

Suggestions for revenge welcome......

Bikster
                      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Local Police or ring his boss

Comment

I would try one of the more underground debt collection agencies (we often get debt collection faxes through, though have never tried any yet) - sent to his place of work - may well spook him into paying!

Comment

ring his boss
                            careful on that one - there are data protection and liable laws to consider (funny - not - how we have to consider being lawful to the unlawful isn't it!).

Better if you don't have direct contact yourself, with anyone other than the individual concerned.

Comment

Ring the boss and explain the problem as you see it, then phone the local police at his address and give the same information

Send him a free disk full of Viruses as a thank you
                              Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
                              X