Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Fix my site

Hi All

Continuing on from posts in thread "Latest SEO Advice" we seem to have a particular problem with our site.

It appears that some people who use the view larger image button on the product pages get a 404 error instead of the large image. I cannot reproduce this, I just get the larger image but several posters say that they get 404's and others say they get the large image.

Any body else seeing errors and any one any idea why it should be ok for some and not others?

Cheers
    Ian
    Commercial Cleaning Cambridgeshire

I am seeing 404s on every extinfo page. Can you clarify this for me - do you have a full page design in the popup ie the full page template as this is what I am getting with a 404 in the body.

I ask because the button may be calling another page or the like.

Comment

An example page and product, that you know is problematic?
      Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

I'm using BT Business Broadband and viewed larger images and extended info without problem or error. (Products viewed 17 in 4 sections)

Can't answer your problem though.

Comment

An example page and product, that you know is problematic
          I cannot see ANY popups at all!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
            I am seeing 404s on every extinfo page. Can you clarify this for me - do you have a full page design in the popup ie the full page template as this is what I am getting with a 404 in the body.

I ask because the button may be calling another page or the like.
            Hi Malcolm

What you are seeing is our customised error page.

If you use the Further Information Button you should see a Blue page with our Logo top centre and centralised Info about the product.

If you are using the view larger image button you should see a larger image on a plain white background.

Strange - could it be something to do with ie security settings or firewall setting not letting the pop up perform correctly?

Mystery to me at the moment, but particularly worrying if other customers and SE are seeing this.

Cheers
            Ian

Comment

security settings or firewall setting not letting the pop up perform correctly
              I dont think so - as you can imagine I view thousands of Actinic pages a month and I have never seen this problem before. The popup is not being blocked as I can see your 404 no problem so it looks like its something at your end.

If you use Google Analytics/webmaster tools you will be able to check if google is seeing 404s - if it is then you have problems

Comment

The HTML around the product area for pages which work for me (ie get an image when click view larger image) is very different from that for pages which don't (ie get 404):

works - Patricia Arquette

doesn't - Avengers

Are you using different templates for these two, especially around the product area?

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
                  The HTML around the product area for pages which work for me (ie get an image when click view larger image) is very different from that for pages which don't (ie get 404):

works - Patricia Arquette

doesn't - Avengers

Are you using different templates for these two, especially around the product area?
                  The plot thickens

I am using identical templates for both (indeed most products have the same template)

So I downloaded the relevent code from the site using ie6 view source command, for both pages above and the code is identical (except for the names, refs, prices etc) and it works for me - I can see the pop ups.

So could it be that something is interfering with the code when some peoples browsers pick it up?

I have checked all the settings etc and they are identical for both avengers and Patricia Arquette so I am at a loss to explain why some people are seeing all the pop ups no problem, others like you see some of them and Malcolm can't see any!!

Thanks for your feed back on this problem - I will do even more digging trying to get to the bottom of it.

Malcolm - Incidently I see very few 404s at the moment, my stats show just over 2%, but I would expect that as my product offering change every week and there will always be several pages that do not exist (most autographs are one offs - so when they are gone the page goes too)

Cheers
                  Ian

Comment

OK - try this for size. If I search for arquette on your site, I get two results (Patricia and David) click on Patricia - see her page. View Larger Image doesn't work (get 404). If I find Patricia by Celebrity Autographs | Female etc - get to a page which looks the same, but HTML is quite different, and the image button works. Same for the Avengers - the larger image only doesn't work if I have landed on the product page through a search, which of course I did the first time because it was the quickest way to get to the product which was mentioned on this forum.....

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
                      OK - try this for size. If I search for arquette on your site, I get two results (Patricia and David) click on Patricia - see her page. View Larger Image doesn't work (get 404). If I find Patricia by Celebrity Autographs | Female etc - get to a page which looks the same, but HTML is quite different, and the image button works. Same for the Avengers - the larger image only doesn't work if I have landed on the product page through a search, which of course I did the first time because it was the quickest way to get to the product which was mentioned on this forum.....
                      Well spotted Mark

Now I just need to find out why it is happening.

Thanks for your help on this one.

Cheers
                      Ian

Comment

OK

Found out that only if you go through the cgi bin to get to any product the larger image viewer does not work, so hopefully Google won't be seeing this error as they should not be using that route (am I right in thinking this) as all our links are static, hard coded links.

I will now contact our designer see if this can be fixed!

Thanks for your help everybody.

Cheers
                        Ian

Comment

Google won't be seeing this error as they should not be using that route (am I right in thinking this) as all our links are static, hard coded links.
                          Yes that is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                            Yes that is correct.
                            Thanks for your help Malcolm and Mark helping me isolate this problem

Cheers
                            Ian

Comment

Working...
                            X