X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help managing old / new site files

Hi

Sorry to post a possibly stupid question but we have over the years built
    up a huge Actinic image folder (Thumb, Regular and Large) which is getting to be a drain on the system.

Can someone tell us:

1 - When you delete a product from your catologue does it delete all related
    images etc from your local folders too

2 - Does the product and related images get deleted from your server too

Or as we assume do the image files remain in your respective folders locally and on the server - but the product just doesn't appear on your site?

If this is the case is there a way of determining which files are needed by the
    site and which aren't therefore allowing you to remove all old defunct files?

Any advice help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

James

1 - No, you manage your pc, actinic manages your web server

2 - Actinic only uploads the images it needs. It will not have any on the server that are not needed, these are purged as part of the upload process.

As for tips on cleaning things up try this thread - http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=25662

Comment

I believe that, if you perform a backup, then use Windows Explorer to rename the Site1/Images folder to something else, (ImagesOld) then create a new empty folder called Images, then restore the backup, taking care with the Overwrite Orders? bit depending on whether you downloaded in the meantime then only current images will be restored.

Then you can delete the old folder BUT not just yet.......

You may have had some images listed in Advanced | Additional Files that are no longer there and you need to check (I think at the next Update Site it will tell you what it can't find) - copy them over if necessary - then you can delete the old folder.

However I think that the next upload may take a while, so I would do it overnight. I was up at 3 this morning making my mods.!

If you are concerned about files other than images (e.g. multiple backup file copies) drop me a line to pfb5 at gmx dot net I have a couple of other suggestions that keep my site folder pretty neat
      Paul
      Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all your help guys will get working on that straight away!

James

Comment

Working...
        X