Domain Name Expired - More Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domain Name Expired - More Help Needed

Following on from previous thread decided to bite bullet and try and buy back the domain name www.selseyfestivities.com

Yesterday it showed that it was owned by name.net and asked me to make an offer of minimum $90. Today it says
    "Sorry, offers cannot be made on this domain through this site. Please contact the registrant of the domain"

Doing a WHOIS shows
    Registrar: CAPITOLDOMAINS, LLC
    Whois Server: whois.capdom.com

Go to capdom.com and do a WHOIS on their site and it shows
    Wan-Fu China, Ltd. (SELSEYFESTIVITIES-COM-DOM)
    P.O.Box CB-11901
    Nassau,
    BS
    +31.847486135
    +31.847486135
    business@wanfuchina.com

Go to www.wanfuchina.com and it says:
    "We provide company service for China trade business opportunity!"
    with an email address. I have emailed them but not sure I'll get a reply.

Given all of the above does anyone think I stand a hope in hell of getting this domain back?

Really Really hope so as it's been published in a number tourist guides for this years festival and we can't change as they've gone to press

Kathy
    Kathy Newman

Given all of the above does anyone think I stand a hope in hell of getting this domain back?
    NO - I would start thinking of plan B!

Comment

Oh b****r that was not the answer I was hoping for Mal - but think I expected it.

No idea what plan B will be when that web address has been published - NOT looking forward to the committee meeting tomorrow night. So annoying - that domain isn't really of any use to anyone else unless they are planning festivities in Selsey!

Kathy
      Kathy Newman

Comment

that domain isn't really of any use to anyone else unless they are planning festivities in Selsey!
        You never know - everything else we have is made in China!

Comment

If you haven't already got the .co.uk you could get it by tomorrow night - I think a lot of people would try the .co.uk if the .com didn't work

(plus you could always say that the .com was a typo!)

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

yes got order in for the .co.uk - nice idea about explaining away as typo - but I'd forgoten it's on a bunch of merchandise as well!

Kathy
            Kathy Newman

Comment

Update

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather when I checked my email at 6.20am this morning - an answer from Wanfuchina!

They apologiese for having the domain name but said they bought it as it was lapsed - however for a payment of $840 as compensation they would be prepared to let us have it back!

Well emailed saying we can't afford that would they consider a smaller amount - will let you know if I get a reply.

Kathy
              Kathy Newman

Comment

Very interseting thread over at DNSSTUFF last year.

Seems to have lost formatting in the forum change, but you might find some parts interesting

http://member.dnsstuff.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=943423

Looks like the same people involved.

I am afraid I would also go for the plan B option

Comment

They apologiese for having the domain name but said they bought it as it was lapsed - however for a payment of $840 as compensation they would be prepared to let us have it back
                  So thier plan has worked you are despirate and will pay anything to get it back - NOT

Comment

Very interseting thread over at DNSSTUFF last year
                    Domain squatting is on the increase. I have even been on the phone to a client discussing domain names and we had decided on one but chatted for a while and it had been registered by a squatter when we went back. Its happened a few times now and its almost as if something is tracking the domains being checked and registering them

Comment

Yikes that is very interesting - bit scary too - all seems to relate to us domain registering companies - but I will be bit more careful I think when searching for new domains in future.

Keeping everything crossed that the domain may become available again in few days - seems like that has happened sometimes and people have been able to get the domains registered again.

Will let you know if anything happens!

Kathy
                      Kathy Newman

Comment

Its best to use someone like 123-reg to host your domains as they will send warning emails at 60, 30, 10 and 5 days and then automatically re-register them when they expire if you do not select to allow them to expire.

Domains are the most important part of a website and if you loose one your whole business goes down the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                          Domain squatting is on the increase. I have even been on the phone to a client discussing domain names and we had decided on one but chatted for a while and it had been registered by a squatter when we went back. Its happened a few times now and its almost as if something is tracking the domains being checked and registering them
                          This has happened to me more than once also - I really wonder if some companies you check domain availablity with sell on the info - they've got nothing to loose, the domain still gets purchased.

Comment

Well another email awaited me this morning - I had gone back to them saying $840 was too much would they consider less - they came back asking for $750. Have emailed them saying: "Thank you for your reply - sorry but 750 is still too much for us to afford. I think we will have to leave the domain with you."

Will see if anything more happens - may be lucky as some of the posts on the DNSSTUFF forum have said that within 5 days or so the domain suddenly reappears available - will keep an eye out!

Kathy
                            Kathy Newman

Comment

Kathy, why not just send them your own 'final' offer.
                              Its a fair bet that they are after getting as much back as they can, but other than selling the domain for a profit, it is probably of little other use to them.
                              As far as I am aware (and like others, this happened to be with my dot com domain), these companies bulk buy unregistered domains for a pittance, that are 'likely' to be wanted in the future, and hope to gain on any that are then chased.
                              Explain the situation to them, that your organising is small, and that you have very limited funds available, otherwise you will have to let the name go. Try and sound relaxed rather than desperate, and don't mention things like 'we are already using that name on all our stationary/advertsing'.
                              You can offer x, but that is the absolute limit of the funds you have available.
                              They will no doubt try and get more out of you, to which I would stick to your guns with your offer in any reply (keep it short and courteous).
                              So long as your offer isn't laughable, you may find they let it go after a bit of to and frowing.
                              They are after money in the bank, which they won't get if no-one else chases the domain, but they are unlikely to be bothered, if its not enough to at least make them feel they made 'enough' profit.
                              I'd suggest something like £150-£250 (if you can afford it), would be reasonable for both sides.
                              Please let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                              X