Newbi General Question - Dont Laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbi General Question - Dont Laugh

I have been reading the web site about your software and I have to ask ...

Is the software a PERL GUI using OBDC to connect to SQL?

Does this mean I can have my guys use the software to develop ecommerce sites with the feature list mentioned on the web without a lot of PERL or PHP programming? Just using DW MX?

Using DW MX with UltraDev hooked to a OBDC and we have a GUI interface?

Now please do not laugh, I need to get my arms wrapped around exactly what: 1. the software does, 2. how it links to mysql, 3. and can it be true ... a gui with DW with out programmers?

Llaamaboy <---- sorry for the newb question
    Llaamaboy

Is the software a PERL GUI using OBDC to connect to SQL?
    No, all product data is stored in an access database, on the local machine, then converted to html before before being uploaded to the webserver

Does this mean I can have my guys use the software to develop ecommerce sites with the feature list mentioned on the web without a lot of PERL or PHP programming? Just using DW MX?
    There is no programming involved (unless you want to) You use Dreamweaver to tweak the design

Using DW MX with UltraDev hooked to a OBDC and we have a GUI interface?
    No database on the server see quote number 1

1. the software does, 2. how it links to mysql, 3. and can it be true ... a gui with DW with out programmers?
    2 doesn't use mysql
    3 yes

Comment

Why not download the 30 day trial version? You can also make use of Actinic's free hosting offer for trial sites.
      Chris Brown

Comment

First, thanks for the replies, they are very helpful

Why not download the 30 day trial version? You can also make use of Actinic's free hosting offer for trial sites.
        That is the next step, when and if I finally grasp the concept. This as I understand it now, is a different to everything I know ... the montra "application server, web server" beats in my head even when asleep.

No, all product data is stored in an access database, on the local machine, then converted to html before before being uploaded to the webserver
        The local machine being the workstation anywhere in the world. The workstation and not the application server?
        If that is the case, what a concept! But how does one get info from the web back to the workstation (orders iniventory, etc) and it means a legal copy of Access. Access 2000 or 2003 ok?

Thanks again for the input
        Llaamaboy

Comment

Your entire site is built using Actinic on your PC.

You upload the site using a button (upload)

Visitors at your site buy something and you are sent an e-mail saying you have an order.

You open Actinic on your PC and download the orders.

You reupload to the site and any changes (stock etc) are at now viewable to your site visitors.
          Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Actinic is just a normal Windows program - like Word or Excel - which installs on Windows PC. It is based on an Access-style database, but you don't need a license of Access to run it.

You add the details about your products into Actinic, and when you are ready, you tell Actinic to upload this infomration to the web.

Actinic turns your products into a set of web pages, and also uploads Perl scripts to run the checkout and the shopping cart.

Customers place orders, which are stored as files on the server. Actinic downloads (and decrypts) these files and adds the information into its database.

It is a lot easier to understand than you think!

Comment

Thanks for the time and replys!

Im downloading the software demo now.

Client history - stored as files on the web server?
              Web server - MS 2000, 2003 only or Unix, Linux Apache with perl?

Dev license - one license per dev machine, unlimited web sites.
              Llaamaboy

Comment

Suggest some Lix flavour of hosting sa it seems much more Actinic friendly
                Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Is there any detailed info location I can give to my admins so we can test this system on one of our web servers?
                  That is, where can I find info on setting up the server side properly?

Llaamaboy
                  Llaamaboy

Comment

While looking in the program directory, I noticed mail2host.txt and that seemd to answer my previous queston.
                    Llaamaboy

Comment

Working...
                    X