Whistle while you work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whistle while you work?

We've received a missive from "The Performing Right Society" stating that we need to pay a license fee if we play music by any means at our place of business (even "on hold" music on telephones).

They will be contacting us shortly to discuss our licensing requirements (with special discounts if we apply within 7 days!). If you go on their website, you even have to do your own calculation of how much you must pay them.

I've read something or other about this recently and wondered how on earth this would be policed and how ridiculous it sounded.

Ipods all round and letter in the round filing cabinet?

The good ole PRS, i used to deal with them when i worked at the RAC. Not sure what it costs nowadays it used to be very cheap.

If you are playing it as hold music, then pay them, if its played into a shop or alike then just play the radio as the rights is paid by the radio. Of course you need a tv license to do that though lol.

Comment

Not so sure that is the case anymore. We had them in recently and I'm sure they said Radio is not covered, you do have to pay for it, which frankly, is just a joke!
      Cheers

David
      Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Would royalty free music be an option?
        www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co.uk

Comment

Prs

We have just got a letter stating that we have to play this royalty fee. It worked out to around £68 for us and although it seems you are paying for nothing, it entitles you to broadcast to the public in your shop and it does seem to make people more relaxed (and hopefully spend more) in our shop at least.
          We asked if we had been stitched up but were told they are carrying out a 'blanket' mailing and will start to enforce the law.

Darron
          www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
            The good ole PRS, i used to deal with them when i worked at the RAC. Not sure what it costs nowadays it used to be very cheap.

If you are playing it as hold music, then pay them, if its played into a shop or alike then just play the radio as the rights is paid by the radio. Of course you need a tv license to do that though lol.
            As far as I'm aware you'll need to pay if broadcasting the radio in shop premises.

Comment

You certainly do.

We've tripped up on the phone to the prs already with the, "we only play a radio", line.

£58.75 + VAT quoted.

Had to laugh, as their sales pitch is that they are really there to help you get extra sales

Comment

Going by their calculations, we'd pay over 200 squiddlies a year just to have a radio (4 staff).

We don't use hold music as all calls are screened to prevent spam and we only phone back genuine callers.

We're a warehouse and not open to the public so having music would not affect sales.

How does this affect personal CDs that you bring into work (since you've paid your royalty in the purchase price). Presumably if all 4 of us have bought the same CD, no further royalties are payable if we play this at work. But then you'd be scuppered if the postie walked in and "heard" it and didn't own a copy?!! Bonkers.

What about internet radio?

I think we'll just start up our own Barbershop Quartet and entertain ourselves!

Comment

The other extreme is to get someone to handle it for you - we use http://www.tsgmedia.co.uk/ ... not cheap but it removes the adverts and local DJ's and their provincial "humour"

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Ridiculously writers and publishers for whom the PRS 'collect' for have to pay for the privilege of receiving a cut of the 'collection' too!

I've never understood why you must pay the PRS if you play a radio in the workplace - ther radio stations are already paying aren't they?

Comment

My place of business is an office in my home - wonder if I'll have to pay too? If they say I do then I will stop listening to radio 2 online in the office and start putting it on the stereo in the lounge and leaving the office door open!

Kathy
                      Kathy Newman

Comment

Listening to personal CD/Mini Disc/MP3 players are fine. Broadcasting, whether that be to customers or employees is a different matter.

Radio stations will have to fill out a playlist for each tune they play and pay for it, a cut of that will go to the PRS and the artist. We are paying the PRS for the privilage of broadcasting radio stations in our places of work.

That's how I've always understood it

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
                          Ridiculously writers and publishers for whom the PRS 'collect' for have to pay for the privilege of receiving a cut of the 'collection' too!
                          I think they'd refer to that as 'leg work'

Comment

tell them to "go whistle" and then check if they have a licence for that !

Comment

tell them to "go whistle" and then check if they have a licence for that !
                              Interesting point - what if you do whistle a song? Is there a royalty due?

What about humming?

Comment

Working...
                              X