Product Descriptions - SEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Descriptions - SEO

Just wondering how everyone deals with product descriptions on their sites with regards to SEO.

After posting on a couple of other boards I've been advised to re-write my descriptions. I've used quite a lot of descritions provided by manufacturers and I'm wondering if this may be responsible for my eternal supplemental listings?
    www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co.uk

product descriptions should include the keyword phrases you want to draw people to that product for. ideally they will be hand crafted by yourself.

There is a theory that if you use the manufacturers description and so does every other fishing site then you could be penalised for duplicate content.

Comment

I mostly use manaufacturer's descriptions and they don't give me a problem with supplemental listing. I sometimes re-write or extend them where necessary.

I have noticed that few of my competitors have the length of descriptions I do, so my pages may be standing out as unique.

Alan Compton
      www.greenknightgames.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by acompton
        I have noticed that few of my competitors have the length of descriptions I do, so my pages may be standing out as unique.

Alan Compton
        www.greenknightgames.co.uk
        Alan, do you mean they're using your descriptions?

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
          There is a theory that if you use the manufacturers description and so does every other fishing site then you could be penalised for duplicate content.
          That's my thinking at the minute. I guess I'm just trying to avoid the issue 'cause I'm begining to realise that it involves me undertaking a s**t load of work

Comment

Alan, do you mean they're using your descriptions
            No, they are just using a 'short-form' description, or the first paragraph from the manufacturer's description (often quite lengthy)

I am the new starter. The established shops are unlikely to be stealing from me

Alan

Comment

responsible for my eternal supplemental listings?
              You will not be put into the supplimental listings for duplicate content. Supplimental listings are still available for search.

Your product descriptions need to reflect the keyword/phrase you are targeting - its as simple as that.

Comment

Totally agree, what are your users most likely to search for, that is what they should be.

Comment

product descriptions should include the keyword phrases you want to draw people to that product for. ideally they will be hand crafted by yourself.
                  I guess I'm just trying to avoid the issue 'cause I'm begining to realise that it involves me undertaking a s**t load of work
                  work on a system of priority, do your most important products first...

Comment

I mostly use manaufacturer's descriptions and they don't give me a problem with supplemental listing. I sometimes re-write or extend them where necessary.
                    You will not be put into the supplimental listings for duplicate content. Supplimental listings are still available for search.
                    Hmmm, lots of differing views there then? I guess that's how Google wants it

Comment

lots of differing views there then
                      The more people you talk to the more different views you will get - read http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35291 about SEO companies.

Its very easy for "experts" to post on SEO forums about thier knowledge of SEO, what you need to see is proof of thier skills - once you have this then you can accept that what they advise is going to help you.

If you listen to all the "experts" on SEO forums to will be forever changing your SEO plan and end up getting knowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                        If you listen to all the "experts" on SEO forums to will be forever changing your SEO plan and end up getting knowhere.
                        Cheers Malcolm, yeah I see where you're coming from. It feels like I've been thrown from pillar to post of the last few months, trying an idea here another one there.....and non of the suggestions throwing up any concrete results.

I'm just going to stick to 'my' game plan till the end of March I think....and take it from there.

Comment

Working...
                        X