Royal Mail Compensation Payments and VAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Mail Compensation Payments and VAT

I have just received my first Royal Mail compensation cheque for the one lost parcel over Christmas. I'm trying to put it into the company accounts. How do I account for VAT? Is there any VAT element to it? (no goods or services are involved).

Alan Compton
    www.greenknightgames.co.uk

Hi Alan - payments to and from RM are VAT exempt.

If you are VAT registered you have to charge VAT on the p&p element to your customer as you are providing this as a VATable service.

If you are using a courier (not Parcel Force as they are also VAT exempt), you will pay VAT on their invoices and can offset. With refunds from a courier you'll also get a VAT split.

You can tell I've been down this road before

Comment

Helen,

Thanks for replying. As no one had replied, I asked my accountant who said that the the compensation payment counts as an insurance payout and has no VAT element.

(Keep awake in the back row there )

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by acompton
        Helen,

Thanks for replying. As no one had replied, I asked my accountant who said that the the compensation payment counts as an insurance payout and has no VAT element.

(Keep awake in the back row there )

Alan
        Info read and grabbed for future reference.

Free info from an accountant is like gold dust around these parts

Regards
        Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
        Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Free info from an accountant
          I find the end-of-year bill contains suspicious items like "Consideration and advice on VAT and Postage"

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by acompton
            I find the end-of-year bill contains suspicious items like "Consideration and advice on VAT and Postage"

Alan
            ...with VAT charged on the consideration

Comment

Working...
            X