Need a basic site design - V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a basic site design - V8

We are trying to make a basic site design using Theme Clean Layout 13 (2 side bars, horiz. nav bar) as the style we want.
    We want to fix the width to 770 pixels on all layouts, change some colours etc.
    I feel like I'm wasting time I don't have with this as I'm no doubt re-inventing the wheel.
    Would anyone be interested in supplying a basic layout or helping out?

I'm an Actinic newbie in case you hadn't spotted that

you can contact me directly here: actinic@calamander.co.uk

Thanks
    Sean
    Kind Regards
    Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

If you want a fixed width of 770, i would recommend only having one sidebar, if you try and fit two, the central part is just too narrow. Ecommerce sites catering for 800x600 screens and having 2 sidebars are almost impossible to get looking good and undoubtedly will be giving headaches.

Reduce to one sidebar or move up to 1024 site build and it will become a lot easier.

Comment

I think the comtemporary theme is a fixed width with two cols ie left hand nav and mainbody.

Got to agree with Lee if its fixed at 770 you've only got room for one sidebar

Comment

Thanks for the advise Guys.
        I'm surprised at the low response to my post - perhaps I should have included the phrase "We are willing and expect to pay".
        I sort of expected that to be taken for granted, or isa that not the norm in the Community?
        Kind Regards
        Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

I'm surprised at the low response to my post
          I think that you will find that most designers are fully booked which is possibly the reason for the lack of responce.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams
            Thanks for the advise Guys.
            I'm surprised at the low response to my post - perhaps I should have included the phrase "We are willing and expect to pay".
            I sort of expected that to be taken for granted, or isa that not the norm in the Community?
            Sean

Your thread was kind of left open, are you going to take the advice given and have a go yourself or do you still want to be contacted? If you go for a wider site, your issues will probably be solved and you might not need any help.

You said that you are after a basic site design, if you go for a wider site, then the inbuilt actinic templates will give you this. If you want the honest truth your post reads as can someone sort me a template out for £75 cause i just can't get it. Jobs of this sort with this software rarely turn into the kind of work designers strive for, so i would expect a small response to be honest.

Had you said "I'm looking for a new site to be built, i need 200 products listed and i want to spend about £2,500", i'm sure your email address would have been bombarded like a stampede from a herd of elephants.

There's a wealth of information on this forum to help you along the way, a search of the forum will usually turn up the answer for about 70% of the problems you might encounter. If you get stuck or need some advice, feel free to give me a shout.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the advice all.
              I have seen the light - no fixed width at 770!

I fully appreciate your comments Lee you're right - I was looking for a template, although I'm willing to cough more than £75.00

I quite understand about that versus wanting a full site. W would dearly love to have that done for us, but we have five sites to do (all ours) and we simply couldn't afford it.

I am a div though - the Smart Theme in V8 is almost exactly what I was looking for, but on the preview it doesn't show as a three column layout so I overlooked it. Many thanks to Jan at Mole End for pointing that out when I asked about the design of Integrated Labels. Der!
              Kind Regards
              Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

HTH Sean.

You could always be cute and get one site professionally designed and they you yourself could apply this design to your other 4 sites. With a bit of tweaking on the style of each (the easy part), you could end up with 5 sites all with the same basic shell, but looking totally different.

Probably shouldn't have told you that lol, some designer will be rolling his/her eyes. Its especially good if you want them to all look uniform too.

Good luck, no doubt we will hear from you in the forum soon!

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                  HTH Sean.
                  Good luck, no doubt we will hear from you in the forum soon!
                  You can ablsolutely bet on that!
                  Kind Regards
                  Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Working...
                  X