Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Windows XP Experts?

Hi

I recently purchased a new laptop solely to handle Actinic orders between the office and home during non business hours.

For some reason It keeps creating directories in the root of the hard drive.

This is the typical directory name "46ab9231ba4d0ae32061710029846d" in each directory it typically only has one filename "msxml4-KB927978-enu".

It normally creates about 50ish directories a week which I just delete but they keep coming back.

Its probably something really simple.

Any ideas?

Jo
    Thanks

JoBananas Body Jewellery - Body piercing jewellery, belly bars and ear stretching plugs

46ab9231ba4d0ae32061710029846d is a typical system generated unique identifier.

msxml4-KB927978-enu is a windows update file, used to install a replacement msxml4.0 - it sounds as though your system is trying to download and install this update.

Try going directly to microsoft update and running a check on the status of your software. I would expect the behaviour to stop after a successful installation.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Yep bills, right,
      Although as far as i remember that is not the installer, its the log file (file extension should be .log)
      With you having a number of them it does suggest windows is having a problem installing the update,

try downloading the file directly from microsoft and doing a manual install and see if it shows an error.

AndrewPK
      www.incredibid.co.uk

Comment

Hi Bill

Its completely up to date. It installs auto updates every morning when its turned on. I just ran it again to make sure and it says its fine.

I have just deleted all 125 directories again, so I will see if it creates any more over the next day or so.

Jo
        Thanks

JoBananas Body Jewellery - Body piercing jewellery, belly bars and ear stretching plugs

Comment

Format the hard drive and install windows again

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B
            Format the hard drive and install windows again
            I think that is a bit extreme!

there doesn't seem to be anything really 'wrong' with his windows installation, its just having a problem with one windows update file.

before going and formatting the drive, i would suggest he tries to manually install the offending file (get it HERE folks and do a manual install of that particular update

If its still has problems after that then possibly think about formatting

AndrewPK

Edit, that said he should be making regular backups of anything important anyway!
            www.incredibid.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Andrew

I patched the install again - I'll keep an eye on it for new directory creations.

I must admit formatting a machine that is only a 3 weeks old did sound a bit severe.
              Thanks

Comment

Sorry in my experience i have spent days chasing problems around with windows and now i find it is quicker and easier to start again.

Back up everything , windows is a pain in the arse for fixing problems.

I have new PC's with Vista here, they come installed with all sorts of crap and i uninstalled McAfee and it causes a driver problem with Roxio DVD writers - work that out, oh and windows does not have a fix for the problem and neither does roxio

Darren

Comment

Working...
                X