NTFS PC but FAT32 backup drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTFS PC but FAT32 backup drive

I use a small 60gb usb drive to back up all my work. This includes Actinic, Sage and various documents.

It ocurred to me today that my hard drive with Windows XP is NTFS but this little drive I back all my work up to is FAT32. Doesn't appear to create any problems but will this be an issue if I ever have to restore Actinic or Sage for example?

regards
    Dave

No. The whole point of an operating system like Windows is that it hides the underlying filing system(s) from applications like Actinic.

Alan Compton
    www.greenknightgames.co.uk

Comment

The reason why they are FAT32 is so they can be read by older PCs too such as Win98.

Comment

The only real area of concern when copying files NTFS -> FAT -> NTFS would be whether they contain any Additional Data Streams (ADS). ADS's are extra (usually informative - but you can store huge amounts in them if you wish) files that can be added to an NTFS file. They are little used and I doubt whether Actinic uses them at all.

An example of ADS's in use is if you save a file using Internet Explorer. IE adds an ADS that indicates that this file originated from the Internet. When windows opens such a file it checks to see if it's executable. If it is, it checks to see if there's an ADS indicating that it's a downloaded file. If so, up pops a warning that "This file originates from the Internet...". Your main file is completely unaltered. If you copy this file to another NTFS drive the ADS data is maintained. However if you copy this file to a FAT drive this data is lost. Copying to / from a FAT drive is, indeed, a quick way of stripping unwanted ADS data.

The way ADS's are implemented seems to be a terrible decision by Microsoft (done in a hurry while trying to keep up with Apple). They are a very easy way to hide malicious code from the user. You can stuff gigabytes of additional data into a small file but it will still show it's original tiny size.

See http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...a_Streams.html for a study.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Very informative. Thanks guys.

Comment

...and fat32 has a maximum single file size of 4gb and 65,534 files or folders per folder.

but if you ever get to 4gb for a snapshot then i suggest you seek medical attention.

Comment

Working...
            X