Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PC OS Query

Hi Guys

Just out of interest, we are about to invest in some new desktop pc's.

Our current network bank are all on XP Pro. I am still reluctant to go down the Vista Business route due to some concerns read online in the press etc.

Anyone out there got networked pcs working fine with XP Pro and Vista business?

Anyone got any strong views either way?

Regards and thanks in advance...
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

please, for the sanity of you and your loved ones, do not buy vista.

there are endless reasons why professional, serious people should not jump on the 'its new and trendy' bandwagon. its a complete mess. let it mature before you purchase.

even better, you could source a *ahem* beta, for testing on a spare comuter. i'm a member of the msdn, and i have every beta since beta 1. they are all wishy washy.

get XP, patched up to sp2, .net 2 and stable hardware and you'll have much less problems.

Comment

If you're looking to buy Dells, they only supply with Vista

Alan

Comment

XP Pro SP2 without a doubt for the time being, even more so when you find out office 2003 doesn't work with shitsa, along with many other problems. I recently had a system built for me, if you do this you can specify what you want on it.

Comment

Originally posted by acompton
          If you're looking to buy Dells, they only supply with Vista

Alan
          Hi Alan

Buy Dells what ...never touch them mate.

Sounds like my concerns were bang on the money.

Ta guys, XP Pro it is then.

Comment

if you want to spend endless hours on trying to make everything work buy vista.

if you prefer to spend the equivelant time on you business buy the reliable xp pro as specified above (patches etc...)

i have not tried them but everything i heard to date has been a disaster (or pretty much there).

i resist to go along with microsoft's wishes on these things.

Comment

I have to be honest, i have many flavours on my network from 98 to vista.

Vista took me a bit to grasp but it is probably the most reliable version apart from 98. It has taken me a little bit of time to get the hang of it but now i quiet happly browse the network and save files on to other pc's with different flavours of windows.

DELL - i use dell pc's all the time, never had a reliability issue and these are on 10 hours a day 6 days a week some of these have been doing this since 2001 and they are still going. For the money i do not hink you can beat it.

I still never understand why people buy from PCWORLD but we all have our favorites.

What are you really looking for from your new PC and i tell you if i am doing any of it with my current network

Cheers
              Darren

Comment

DELL - i use dell pc's all the time, never had a reliability issue and these are on 10 hours a day 6 days a week some of these have been doing this since 2001 and they are still going. For the money i do not hink you can beat it.
                I have to agree here - mine are on almost 24/7 and my second problem in 6 years is being fixed this afternoon on my next business day repair contract.

I would not touch Vista with a barge pole and as DELL are shipping all new PCs with it then I will NOT be buying from them in the near future

Comment

I have to admint that I am using Vista and wouldn't go back to XP for the world. As long as you do a clean install (i.e not ontop of an old beta, or even an upgrade), it seems to be OK.

There are issues with certain software and drivers etc., but then there was when XP was released, as there was when 98 was released etc.

I understand peoples concerns about Vista, and would never suggest to anybody to update their OS if they were not comfortable, but from my trials and testing as long as you have a decent PC (by that I mean made from decent components) and you do a clean install you should be fine.... and a lot safer security wise.

Look and feel apart, it has some very very good features...

Just my opinion [I'll put my tin hat on now] ;-)

Kevin
                  KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Originally posted by MULLKV
                    I have to admint that I am using Vista and wouldn't go back to XP for the world. As long as you do a clean install (i.e not ontop of an old beta, or even an upgrade), it seems to be OK.
                    Kevin
                    That comment rings a bell with the V7/v8.04 to 8.5 party

Comment

We are running Vista on a couple machines with no problems. I cannot find a compelling reason yet to upgrade my Vaio from XP Pro though but if I was buying a new one would be happy if it had Vista.

All these comments were made about XP if you remember and now it's the bees knees. It'll take time for Vista to reach the same state but by then, there will be a good many things that require it.

All that said, if I wanted a core business machine to do everything on (our company has more or less a PC for each job) then I would go XP Pro at the moment.
                      Blank DVD
                      Cloth Nappies

Comment

Personally I shall stay with XP for a year or so, at least until Vista beds down,

However I've just bought a Vista PC for my sister (home use only) and it looks nice...

but to ensure the smooth running of my business, sadly its XP for a while longer

Comment

Juat to add to my earlier comments

I would not upgrade any of my machines, but have no problems buying vista machines

Darren

Comment

I have been thinking of getting a new machine and was considering a Dell - I have had the current dell for a couple of years now with no problems. I have been looking on their site and they do indeed only ship Vista as far as I can tell.

Can you recomend any where/anyone than can build me a machine so I can keep using XP? I would rather get a recomendation for a pc builder than go to PC World or anywhere like that.

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

www.cube247.co.uk do fantastic machines at very good prices. I have a few of their machines.

I've not checked if they are still shipping XP though.....

Kevin
                              KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Working...
                              X