designing new logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

designing new logo

Ok, we will be redesigning our site soon using V8 and as a result I am looking at a designing a new logo.

Does anyone have any recomdations regarding the best s/w to use to design it? We have the usual MS offerings such as MS Publisher etc but was wondering if there was a better package to use.

Thanks for the advice,

Graham

Designing your logo is not really about the package you use to create it rather more the design you feel is suitable to your business.

That said, Photoshop must be the most popular by far followed by many many others like Freehand, Paintshop Pro as well as some free open source packages. To make life easier you at least need a program that will allow you to work in layers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have Photoshop so its just a case of sitting down and playing around.

Cheers again

Comment

To re-iterate Duncan's point about it not being the package rather the designer (and for a bit of fun!) have a look at some artwork created on Microsoft's Good 'Ole Paint program.

[link removed]

[posting image example instead]
        Click image for larger version

Name:	mspaint_masterpiece.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	541882
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Thanks fergus

The site contains a adware named Chitika

Suggest MOD deletes this thread entry
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Chris,
            Thanks for the vigilance and spotting the Adware.
            That'll teach me to try and inject a "bit of fun" into the forum, and to avoid linking to anywhere other than our own sites.
            Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
            Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
            SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Originally posted by thatscrafty
              Ok, we will be redesigning our site soon using V8 and as a result I am looking at a designing a new logo.

Does anyone have any recomdations regarding the best s/w to use to design it? We have the usual MS offerings such as MS Publisher etc but was wondering if there was a better package to use.

Thanks for the advice,

Graham
              If you already have some software by all means have a go, although photoshop for example will take quite some time to learn and its a never ending learning process. I've used it for a good few years now and i still learn new things regularly. I defy anyone to know more than 40-50% of what it can do, it's just so huge.

If you have no expertise with any of the programs, it may be wiser to employ somebody to do one for you. You can get this very cheap nowadays and some large forums run design contests where you can choose from a number of applicants, they will fine tune until you get what you want. Most definitely the most cost effective, some of these guys are truly awesome with art, getting someone working on their passion in life is always a great way.

I have seen some quite incredible logos for between $80-$150, at that price i personally do not believe it's even worth trying to do your own, unless it's an area of interest. I often spend a day or so messing with a logo (i enjoy it), if i had any sense i would just farm it off to a guy who does it in 2 hours flat (including 15 tweaks).

Comment

To be honest, I'd pay someone to design a logo for me. Any logo created by a professional logo designer is going to knock the socks off any home grown creation.

Comment

Just to jump in here...

You need to design your logo in a VECTOR package so that you can resize it to anything up or down with loss of image quality.

I use Illustrator, but Fireworks and some opensource ones will do. If you are looking to punt out the design of the logo, check out: SomethingAwful.com check the forums -- you can "rent a designer" for $10-$50 for a pukka logo.

Glen
                  x
                  sigpic
                  Building:- Glen Gilchrist
                  Building:- Glen Gilchrist personal site

Comment

Working...
                  X