Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop spec

I need a new laptop...

it must be lightweight/portable suitable for some actinic work (but I don't actually do a great deal nowadays!!) Mobile comms are more important so I can get to my online support desk when I'm travelling and make phone calls from the laptop (VOIP or Skype).

Must be able to connect to 3g broadband/HSPDA etc, wifi, wireless/wired broadband (modem would be nice but isn't crucial), probably will have to be XP (3g broadband isn't vista compatible yet).

Needs 1-2 gb RAM, don't really want widescreen but that seems to be all thats around nowadays... USB ports at the back on the unit, and speakers not on the front - can't watch a movie with laptop on your lap if the speakers are on the front - what design freak didn't think of that.

Anyone got any good ideas (less than £1000 inc VAT)

I got a Toshiba A100-338 one from PC world for £599 in January, it worked well for developement work and communications when I was away (and has a nice big screen so good for watching films as well :-)). The PC World near to Tesco's has them all out on display so it might be worth popping down to take a look. You can probably get them for a better price elsewhere (although when I checked after my impluse buy I couldn't).

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Dell XPS, for get about the price. I'm getting one simply because Sam Carter out of Stargate has one.

Seriously howver, the laptop market is about to change a little, as upgradability becomes a larger factor.

Asus Upgradability.

Asus are developing clever upgradable laptops, soon to be released. GFX ram sound, cpu, the lot, all swappable.

Comment

Watch out for the size on hand baggage 55 x 20 x 38cm - dont get a huge one!

Comment

I've just spent the afternoon trawling stores, so at least I've had the touch feely experience.

Most big chains are only selling Vista, so I pretty well have to buy online.

Got it down to the following

small, compact and light maybe 12" screen but 14 max
          XP
          wifi, ethernet network card, pcmcia slot (built in HSPDA would be a bonus)
          intel
          80 gb HD
          DVD writer
          less than 2.3kg
          4-5 hour battery
          2gb RAM

Comment

Jo I had a small 12" and although handy to transport it was a total pain in typing and mouse key movements

Also suggest dual processor

We have two Fujitsu Siemens Amilo notebooks that are good value at low price and no problems over last 6 months via pcworld could do worse
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

I would add bluetooth - when out and about I connect with my laptop via 3G on my phone. Cheaper and easier than a 3G card.

Comment

I use a couple of DELL X300s - they are a bit old now but run Actinic, DW photoshop etc 12" screen, wifi, bluetooth A4 size weighing about 1.1Kg. Get a good accidental damage policy as well so when they get trashed you can get another the next day.

Comment

Best spec Compaq Presario 14" widescreen from PC World you can afford would get my vote, i've had 5 of them and never a single problem. Gotta be widescreen so you can watch films on the train and let the world pass you by.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                    Best spec Compaq Presario 14" widescreen from PC World you can afford would get my vote, i've had 5 of them and never a single problem. Gotta be widescreen so you can watch films on the train and let the world pass you by.
                    Good call, or look at the HP NX range, we use 3 8220's and 2 9420's for our mobile dev machines.

Reliable, free of crap (unlike store bought desktops ), XPP, BT and Wifi yada yada....

Not cheap, but ultra reliable and transportable.

We swear by HP but many of the above are good too (except Dell )

HTH
                    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Jo I had a small 12"
                      wtf? thats small? dude, have you been taking something?

Comment

We swear by HP but many of the above are good too (except Dell )
                        sadly, i dont agree.

I use a HP Pavilion for general work, and its pants, shoddily constructed and had (before i fixed it myself) buggy bios.

however, we have a dell lappy here and its sturdy construction is somewhat refreshing.

Comment

Dell Versus HP/Compaq

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe
                          sadly, i dont agree.

I use a HP Pavilion for general work, and its pants, shoddily constructed and had (before i fixed it myself) buggy bios.

however, we have a dell lappy here and its sturdy construction is somewhat refreshing.
                          Time to put on the hard hat, its that time of the month, everybodies favourite game show....

Dell Versus HP/Compaq

For the next 7 days let the public decide

Cast your votes.....now

HP POUR MOI

Comment

HP +1
                            Dell who want to wait these days
                            Compaq no data
                            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Jo

Just sourced a new DT for under £400.00 (just). HP DC7700, are you sure you want a laptop....?

spec:
                              Type: Personal computer
                              Windows Vista Certification: Windows Vista Premium Ready
                              Form Factor: Convertible mini tower
                              Dimensions (WxDxH): 16.8 cm x 45.2 cm x 44.8 cm
                              Weight: 14.1 kg
                              Processor: 1 x Intel Pentium D 945 / 3.4 GHz ( Dual-Core )
                              Processor Main Features: Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology, Intel Execute Disable Bit, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology
                              Cache Memory: 4 MB L2 Cache
                              Cache Per Processor: 4 MB ( 2 x 2 MB )
                              RAM: 1 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - non-ECC - 667 MHz - PC2-5300
                              Storage Controller: Serial ATA ( Serial ATA-300 )
                              Hard Drive: 1 x 160 GB - standard - Serial ATA-300
                              Optical Storage: DVD±RW (±R DL) with LightScribe Technology
                              Monitor: None.
                              Graphics Controller: Intel GMA 3000
                              Audio Output: Sound card
                              Networking: Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
                              Power: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
                              OS Provided: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
                              Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years warranty

HTH

Comment

Working...
                              X