• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site Review

Hi

If anyone has a minute could they please have a look at:

http://puddle-computing.co.uk/acatalog/test/acatalog/

it's a new site we're launching in few weeks and would like some feedback - I've got to the stage now where I hate it

There are a few bits I know need finishing - some of the product images are not great and few prices still need to be entered and there are still some references to Puddle Pet Care I think (copied lots across!)

Please be as brutal or complimentary as you like!!

Thanks

Kathy
    Kathy Newman

The cart isn't working for me Kathy, I get this

Error: ../acatalog/test/acatalog/81Z129Z46Z141A1179129588B13316.session can not be locked during Session init!

Also on the little bit at the bottom left where you have the current department lists, there is a trailing ';

Nice colours.

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Thanks Jan - can't replicate the problem with checkout - I've just done it and it was fine this end - curious..

Kathy
      Kathy Newman

Comment

One thing I would change is that the images and title aren't clickable to get to the details. Only the 'More...'. For a while there I was surprised that there weren't more details on each product.

Mike

PS. I also find it strange that I can't buy the product from the details page. Weren't you looking for a way to put the 'buy' button in the middle of that page a little while ago?
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I added the Kitty litter to my basket, an empty basket was shown on the bounce screen and after that adding to the basket gave the error I listed earlier.

Regards,
          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
          Multichannel order processing
          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
            One thing I would change is that the images and title aren't clickable to get to the details. Only the 'More...'. For a while there I was surprised that there weren't more details on each product.

Thanks - will make image and title clickable.

PS. I also find it strange that I can't buy the product from the details page. Weren't you looking for a way to put the 'buy' button in the middle of that page a little while ago?
            Opps - major oversite - I've got the wrong product template - will go and change that now otherwise all the faffing about getting add to cart button in middle will have been wasted!

Thanks

Kathy
            Kathy Newman

Comment

For me its a bit green. The design images are quite flat too.

Comment

• Buttons at the top are very small text and they have no interaction.
                • Add to basket button looks jaded, text is not very clear or crisp.
                • Define the cart summary better, take a look at how Jont has done this on his latest site in the showcase, a great addition.
                • I think the 'terms' page should have some headings, it's a pretty long story without them.
                • I'm not sold on the idea of selling human and pet products on the same site, i think you are devaluing the human products personally.
                • I'm not a fan of a 'more' link, when there is very little 'more' to see, i feel that you could merge the 2 pages with no adverse effect to the user, which would give good SEO and remove a click, which should always be the aim as much as possible IMO. This could be done with little length added to the page as you have space to the right hand side.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                  For me its a bit green. The design images are quite flat too.
                  Thanks Jo - tend to agree with you - will look at reducing the greenness!

Kathy
                  Kathy Newman

Comment

Lee

Thanks for your very helpful comments - will look at doing stuff with the buttons at top and headings for terms pages - also cart summary - like what Jont has done!

Re selling human & Pet products together - reasoning behind this is it is "one stop" shop - so you can get both - the market for natural pet products is increasing at a rapid rate - and what better than to be able to buy your organic shampoo and some treats for your cat at the same time - one shop, one lot of p&p etc. Also for us it is obviously a way of trying to sell more natural products for pets - they go very well on our own site and why not try and get more sales via another means

As for the more... issue - thought that having single product per page was very good for SEO

Kathy
                    Kathy Newman

Comment

Thanks Jo - tend to agree with you - will look at reducing the greenness!
                      a white background below the banner might swing it.

I'd also improve the look of the left hand nav.

Comment

Aye, our staffie will only use `green` products the anarchist that she is.
                        Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

I'd centralise it all a bit I think.

And the Home button didn't work.
                          Football Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by kathynewman
                            Re selling human & Pet products together - reasoning behind this is it is "one stop" shop - so you can get both - the market for natural pet products is increasing at a rapid rate - and what better than to be able to buy your organic shampoo and some treats for your cat at the same time - one shop, one lot of p&p etc. Also for us it is obviously a way of trying to sell more natural products for pets - they go very well on our own site and why not try and get more sales via another means
                            I understand the idea Kathy and it's only my personal feelings, certainly not some blueprint advice on how to proceed. For me the advantages of ordering all at once would be outweighed by the devaluing of the product, with a mindset that a dog is wearing the same products as me.

Originally posted by kathynewman
                            As for the more... issue - thought that having single product per page was very good for SEO.
                            It is generally Kathy, however the page on which you end up must have enough content to warrant a single page, otherwise it will fall into the trap of not enough content and achieve nothing. The pages i looked at did not have enough content to warrant a single page IMO. If i cannot give a page 130 words, then it doesn't get it's own page - but this is what i like to do, it's certainly not a 'must' do.

If i take the 'Love the Planet Shampoo' page for example, people will not search for that term, so i'd rather see it on a page with 8-10 products all mentioning 'natural shampoo' or 'organic shampoo' which are ultimately the main keyword phrases.

I don't think you can just say one product per page and that's it, that is too generic IMO. You need to look at what you've got, what people are going to search for and then come up with a way to move forward. That page is great for searches on 'Love the Planet Shampoo', although i'd not expect many, if any at all, searches for that phrase. Always keep in mind what people will search for, otherwise you are marketing to a myth and not a real situation.

Only my opinion Kathy, certainly not a guaranteed way to move forward, just what i would undoubtedly do if it was my site.

Comment

I think some `snobby` customers would also be put off by the pet products, and the pet connection to your original site. No offence of course, just looking at potential pitfalls.
                              Football Heaven

Comment

Working...
                              X