Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Site Comments Please

http://trials.actinic.com/trials/trial40745/

This site is almost complete, I am just waiting for the pricelists and then the catalogue will be populated with real prices and products.

In the meantime, the Pentax section under cameras and the Portable Memory sections have been populated for trial purposes.

I am particularly interested in peoples opinions of the "talked to death" subject of single product pages vs multiple products per page... I'm personally in favour of single product pages as they give better search rankings and to be honest, if I could add an "add to cart" button to the section link then I'd be sold.

Ahh... Fire Fox users, your comments will be especially appreciated as I do not have fire fox and quite frankly, I'm too lazy to download it...

Thanks All.
    "Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu

Originally posted by JSnow
    Fire Fox users, your comments will be especially appreciated as I do not have fire fox and quite frankly, I'm too lazy to download it...
    Strange comment to make - requesting Firefox users to take the time to snag a site when you can't take the time to download and test it yourself for free?

The Executive theme works well - I would look at the border around the link boxes sitting over the main image (log-in, view cart etc) as it looks a little unpolished.

I would be tempted to add more snippets of info to the section level as not all users will know the difference between the 3 Pentax DSLR and it will save unnecessary clicking if they can see it is a 10MP camera and not a 6MP version

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
      I would be tempted to add more snippets of info to the section level as not all users will know the difference between the 3 Pentax DSLR and it will save unnecessary clicking if they can see it is a 10MP camera and not a 6MP version
      OT
      What is the difference

BOT
      You cannot seriously build a site without taking the time to do cross browser testing my friend. And for this reason alone...I will not be investing
      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Looks good.

On a very quick look through:
        1. The link at top right to T&C is pointing to P_info instead of info. (Also the T&C link in the footer goes to the homepage)
        2. The images on the homepage (and on some product sections) are out of proportion which looks a bit strange
        3. I expected to be able to click on the logo to go to the homepage.

The single product per page works well. Re the add-to-cart - as you may know already you can select not to configure the section links to display in the parent section and use a cut-down product duplicate instead which adds that functionality.

It only takes a few moments to download and install FF - well worth it for the developer add-in alone.

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
          What is the difference
          6MP sensors will be about £150.00 cheaper.

6MP sensors will create prints larger than 99.9% of the owners will use.

6MP APS-C sensors create less noise due to reduced voltages and larger pixel "sites"

10MP sensors have a sexier badge on the front of the camera to make owners feel better than their 6MP counterparts.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
            6MP sensors will be about £150.00 cheaper.

6MP sensors will create prints larger than 99.9% of the owners will use.

6MP APS-C sensors create less noise due to reduced voltages.

10MP sensors have a sexier badge on the front of the camera to make owners feel better than their 6MP counterparts.
            Smart ar£e
            Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
            Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Hi,

Generally a nice looking site.

Just a few things I immediately notice:

1. There is a red halo around the cart summary area - you need to save the images with a background colour similar to the top image (grey) and make this the transparent colour.

2. The Suppliers table dimension on the home page are inconsistent i.e. Cameras row has 5 columns, Lenses row has 4 columns and then SD cards row has 5 columns. Each row should have the same number of columns IMO, even if it means mixing the product type. Or have another "box" (or something similar) around each classification (i.e. a box around the camera pics, a box around SD cards etc)

3. Inconsistent borders - Supplier/Images (i.e. Canon Cameras) images have solid blue borders, "Hot Deals" area has solid red borders and the “best sellers” area has dotted red borders. These should be consistent IMO.

4. Manufacturer logos could be "sharper".

5. Not sure if I like the blue link colour, as it is not in keeping with the main colour scheme.

HTH

Chris
              Ladies Swimwear
              www.li-fi.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the speedy responses.

I will download FF as my comment seems to have caused quite a problem...

Any other advise will be appreciated.

Comment

Post has been moved to 'Any Other Business'

Comment

[The other thing that I would have thought others may have commented on:

NO real address - only a phone number and a contact form - Many folk (including me) will NEVER buy from a site that does not have the strength to publish an addresss.
                    Strongly suggest you add one...
                    Good luck
                    www.yandles.co.uk
                    www.websilk.co.uk
                    Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
                    So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

Comment

Thank you for all the comments, this is the first website that I have ever created and Actinic has made it really simple to achieve.

Jont - log-in, view cart etc: Polished. I'll work on the info summary at section link level.

Duncan - T&C links fixed, they now point to InfoURL. I'll resize the fuji dig SLR image. What do you mean by click on the logo to go to the homepage (the manuf logo's)?

Chris - I have fixed the borders to be more consistant with the main theme colours and will take a look at what the solid borders will look like. I rather like the red halo and barring any other objections, would prefer to hang on to them. I spent a few hours trying different boxes and labels around the product sections and it really doesn't work too well at all, the homepage becomes cluttered. The manufacturer logos will be supplied with the pricelists. These were poached from the manufaturers sites and then resized. They would normally supply a much larger image that when resized will result in a much sharper image.

Donald - Point well taken. I'll add an address in the page footer so that it appears on every page and not just in the T&C's.

The changes I have mentioned as done have been uploaded. I'll complete the rest today and test with FF before uploading again.

Once again, thanks all.

Comment

Now my visited link colours are a bit buggered. My fault, there is an error in the way that I defined the class. :P...

Good Fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JSnow
                          http://trials.actinic.com/trials/trial40745/
                          Ahh... Fire Fox users, your comments will be especially appreciated as I do not have fire fox and quite frankly, I'm too lazy to download it...

Thanks All.
                          Various admonishments given

However, absolute honesty is worth much more than a milion white lies!

Welcome to the wonderful and wild world of the Forum Jonathan
                          www.yandles.co.uk
                          www.websilk.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Gray
                            OT: we could start a game and take bets on J's name... With the name of Snow, It must be Jack (Frost!)
                            Its Jellow.
                            Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by george
                              Its Jellow.
                              Gee - you were quicker than greased lightning on steroids!

I edited out that bit you quoted within 30 seconds of posting it! I did the simple task of looking at his profile listing and got Jonathan's name!
                              www.yandles.co.uk
                              www.websilk.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X