Getting a GMAIL account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a GMAIL account

Top tip in recent Geek Comic on how to get an @gmail.com account in the UK rather than a @googlemail.com which is not quite as nice.

Download Torpark browser http://www.xerobank.com/xB_browser.html this is a modified Mozilla engined browser which runs through an anonymous server... head for the GMAIL site to sign up ... you should see the field for the name appended with @gmail.com .... if it still says @googlemail.com you need to close the browser and relaunch ... a different proxy server is used each time.

It took about 10 goes to finally get the @gmail.com field and I finally was accepted with T&C in Chinese (thankfully everything else was in English).

Have fun

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Interesting. I have a gmail.com account from way back that I just use as a don't care account - and I wasn't aware that there was a geographical difference between a gmail and googlemail account.

Why did you specifically want a gmail account - or would that be telling?

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
      Why did you specifically want a gmail account - or would that be telling?
      Probably so Jt can order his cakes without his wife getting to see the confirmation email and get them shipped elsewhere

Or the brown paper wrapped products

How are you JT?

Regards
      Daren
      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
        ...Or the brown paper wrapped products
        We can keep a secret if he wants those...

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
          We can keep a secret if he wants those...
          The floral passion range has Jonty stamped all over it
          Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
          Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

The brown wrapped emails do come in handy

GMAIL has been rolled out a few countries at a time, at the moment most of Europe is on googlemail with GMAIL in the UK largely being down to being invited by an existing user.. or having to subscribe via mobile phone verification (again restricted to a few countries) whether adwords allows this to be circumvented as a benefit of paying them lots of money I don't know as I do not use the darn things

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I think you might be right. I just sent an email to a gmail account as googlemail and it came through.

Comment

There is a copyright or similar action in the UK against google, someone else owns the rights to gmail thus in th UK google had to stop offerring gmail accts and had to use googlemail instead. (whilst the action was being contested)

it could be the dispute is now resolved (with sufficient money changing hands) so now Google can give out gmail accts in the UK again.

I have a gmail.com address, but when i wanted to set one up for my sister she had to have googlemail.co.uk - this was loads of months ago.

Comment

Bit of clarification...

Originally posted by pinbrook
                  There is a copyright or similar action in the UK against google, someone else owns the rights to gmail thus in th UK google had to stop offerring gmail accts and had to use googlemail instead. (whilst the action was being contested)

it could be the dispute is now resolved (with sufficient money changing hands) so now Google can give out gmail accts in the UK again.

I have a gmail.com address, but when i wanted to set one up for my sister she had to have googlemail.co.uk - this was loads of months ago.
                  Jo's right but the other party DID win the action, as far as I know gmail accounts are not issued to UK IP addresses.

Jont has found a good fix, thanks! As my family wanted gmail addresses I was sending the other half to the USA & getting her to set them up on a laptop. That will save a few air fares, though of course we'll lose out on the Airmiles.

Although as Duncan has discovered, in actual fact you can use either & it will work for both send and receive - your account login is the first part of the address, you don't need the @ sign or anything after it, so Big G doesn't mind which you use.

We want gmail rather than googlemail because it's a nice short address to use when typing into password fields etc.
                  Paul
                  Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Working...
                  X