No announcement yet.

Community, Knowledge Base and Advanced User Guide - the way forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its Actinic's forum, I have faith in Mr Dicken to get it sorted.

PS How do you know there ain't member modpeeps already?
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by george
      Its Actinic's forum, I have faith in Mr Dicken to get it sorted.

PS How do you know there ain't member modpeeps already?
      G you could be right, but i think this one will go on and on

Comment

CHRIS.

to stop this speculation, let us know now, will you EVER let any users of this forum moderate it?

yes or no?

Comment

<setsScene class="neverHeard">

.....eerie wind noise......empty crisp packets and old leaves blow by.....strange wind chimes making a noise...

</setsScene>

Comment

I think that the main V8 forum should be the information cascades and stickies, we should not be able to post in there IMO. Make people choose a sub forum, tis ok if they get wrong one, it gets moved. If there is a persistent area of discussion, this can be added as sub forum.
            this is how i see it going forwards too

Comment

Myself I think the new layout is crap and the old simpler one much better

I understand the reason experimentation was thought to be needed but what has it achieved a messy looking forum that will confuse new users and give nothing to new users

All this talk of user moderators is again a waste of space in my mind CD does a good job and I can imagine the poor results if half a dozen people were to help moderate it and what happens when the holidays come around?

Most of the regular users appear to use the new message facility and dont get to the normal forum opening pages so may not see the wood from the trees

OK I will sign off now and expect a few reply's
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown
                All this talk of user moderators is again a waste of space in my mind CD does a good job and I can imagine the poor results if half a dozen people were to help moderate it and what happens when the holidays come around?
                The only thing is Chris is moving on to pastures new, and as yet Bruce seems to be the only other person at actinic who cares to partake in the board.

But that said, i think your right if a load of people are allowed and if it were to happen then it should only be a couple but they follow the guide lines of actinic and not there own personal views.

as for the messy forum, i agree it looks ermmmm, dare i comment on someone else's stuff knowing mine needs loads of work, "dis-jointed" that will do

Comment

to stop this speculation, let us know now, will you EVER let any users of this forum moderate it?

yes or no?
                  I don't know. Maybe? In the future? I want to get the new KB/AUG thing up and running and then see what jobs still need to be done here on the Community,
                  as for the messy forum, i agree it looks ermmmm, dare i comment on someone else's stuff knowing mine needs loads of work, "dis-jointed" that will do
                  Suggestions for layout improvements welcome. But please don't just say 'it looks bad'. Thanks.

Comment

Okay dokey mister.

Start with the homepage.

When I* open it I want to see all the sections I want to browse. Thats v7 and v8. The ecommerce and AOB sections.

I dont want/need to see that epos or express sections.

The thread name carrier bit has been made bigger by the pants design of the Google search box, therefore losing some valuable space on the homeypage *IMHO.

I have no problems with the v8 subsections the way they are, as long as the other stuff fits into my `homepage view` as well.

*I: just my own selfish view, they way I'd like to see it at least.

PS: Whats that light blue bit with four threads or so all about? I hope you caught and punished the offender!
                    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Most of the regular users appear to use the new message facility and dont get to the normal forum opening pages
                      This is how I use the forum and it works ok for me?

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                        I don't know. Maybe? In the future? I want to get the new KB/AUG thing up and running and then see what jobs still need to be done here on the Community,Suggestions for layout improvements welcome. But please don't just say 'it looks bad'. Thanks.
                        OK nice reply that is class Chris - Chris for goverment

Ok the layout does not fit well in 1024, the extra subsections under V8 loose the last to fields, just my two pennith, not picking holes, just an observation, told you who am i to

D

Comment

Originally posted by george
                          I dont want/need to see that epos or express sections.
                          Same here, hence the suggestion for collapsible 'main' forums. vBulletin also remembers the state of collapsed forums if you close your browser. Most useful.

Seems to me Actinic should use some of the forum tools to get opinions on improvements to the forums too. Get some polls going, by now they could easily get 20 or more 'improvement' questions going. We all know how we will vote but encourage everyone to vote, especially the newcomers.

Surely part of any improvement to direct newcomers to the correct areas and getting them searching has to include getting their feedback? Otherwise are we not flying - not completely - but just a wee bit blind?
                          Cheers

David
                          Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

new feature would be to be able to exclude certain firums from new posts

so you can do New posts on v8 only - for example

Comment

the extra subsections under V8 loose the last to fields
                              This was a deliberate decision to make the sub-forums look like they belong to the forum above and distinguish them from the forum underneath it. Do you think it causes confusion then not having the 'most recent post' and 'people viewing' fields?

Same here, hence the suggestion for collapsible 'main' forums. vBulletin also remembers the state of collapsed forums if you close your browser. Most useful.
                              This sounds cool - I'll experiment with this and let you know how I get on (although you'll probably see the results for yourself)

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                                Do you think it causes confusion then not having the 'most recent post' and 'people viewing' fields?
                                Personnaly I do, I think people will just end up clicking the V8 support link and then work it out from there. If they weren't sub forums but where within a forum header, it might be more clear and concise.
                                Cheers

David
                                Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Working...
                                X