Excel 2000 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel 2000 problem

I have made a file using excel 2000 on the main computer and also opened up and saved shortcuts to this file on two other computers networked to the main computer

When I initially set this up, I could go to either of the other computers and read or I think write to this file, never actually tried writing as it showed another user haveing the write privalige

I then modified this file, but the other computers only see the original file without ammendments

New file is saved under same name and same location

Confused and feeling stupid, but not used to playing with networked computers untill I got MU
    Chris Ashdown

Excel won't update to live changes. You would have to close and reopen the file on the other machines to see the changes. Whoever opens the file first usually has the writing rights - the others are read only.

Comment

Yes I understand that but we did this yesterday and all the machines were off overnight and still it happens this morning, I can see the updated file on my computer but everyone else just sees the old version

Maybe i have just set up a copy onto their computers and not a live update, though i made the shortcut to the networked disk on the main computer

As always Confused!!
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Chris

Is this new computer Vista ?

D

Comment

no xp home edition
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Try navigating across the network to the file and open it that way to eliminate the link. If the content is different after opening and closing then it must be a different file.

Comment

Thanks Duncan

Stupid really, I had saved the file on the desktop as well as under the c drive.

I was updateing the desktop whilst the network were looking at the c drive which had not changed

Many thanks
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

Glad it sorted chris,

D

Comment

Working...
                X