Sods Law II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sods Law II

After the recent events concerning the new outside tap and mains water being off, i decided it was time for the next installment on my 'making watering and washing things easier' project. A second tap for an automatic watering system - perfect, never going to worry about my hanging baskets again. Now of course this means we need another tap, i find the perfect location just to the right of the garage door on the side of the house and we start the process.

As the tap is right next to the garage side door and the pipe i will be soldering onto is just on the other side of the door inside the garage, clear all the wood away from the door and i have easy access....yes....always well prepared me. This door has not been opened since the house was built, this means its been shut for almost a decade. Off i go to the key rack...bingo...there is the key even labelled up with 'garage' - i'm so damn organised it's frightening.

Toddle off to the door, unlock it, no problems, start to open the door and ...snap...WTF was that, as the whole door comes tumbling towards me, i'm soon well aware what it is. All 3 brass hinges have broken. FFS, it's easier watering with a fkin kettle than going through this shit every time i try to improve things. Being brass, they must have got brittle, i wouldn't mind if they were crappy thin hinges, these are monster hinges with 8 screws in each.

I say i'm unlucky, my missus just howls at what goes wrong for me, you might just say i'm a whinging twat. But i ask you this, tell me the last time you or anyone you know (besides me Jonty) has opened a door, had all 3 hinges snap and have the door come tumbling down onto them.

Answers on a postcard...

don't suppose you happened to have "Cat Cam" pointing in that general direction at the time, do you?
    Maybe You've Been Framed's £250 could go towards a new door
    Tracey

Comment

Ahhh CatCam, another story altogether that is. Gladly nothing has been filmed of this debacle. I think Mal is popping in on Monday, so he is sure to take the piss. And that Northern tosspot (Jonty for those unaware) will be along shortly no doubt to add his tuppence worth.

I'm such an organised guy usually who just drifts on in his own little world without much touching him, of late i feel like Harold chuffing Lloyd.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8WZTb3fZg

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
          Being brass, they must have got brittle
          I don't think they can have been brass. Its a very malleable alloy and I've never heard of it getting 'brittle'

BTW: welcome to the exciting world of home improvement. My first experience of this phenomenom was deciding to paint the front door and the wooden filler panel underneath the front step. The filler panel turned out to be a short beam supporting the end of the hall floor and was rotten right through - needed replacing completely.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
            tell me the last time you or anyone you know (besides me Jonty) has opened a door, had all 3 hinges snap and have the door come tumbling down onto them
            Bruce Taylor : June 1990

OK ... so the hinges did not actually snap .. I had removed all the screws and propped the door back in place so when he opened it the door fell onto him (I was not always this nice )

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Lee is unhinged. FACTAMUNDO.
              Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by acompton
                BTW: welcome to the exciting world of home improvement.
                One job always begets another. I needed to replace a roof panel in the shed. Easy enough you would think - a sheet of 8x4 and a few nails. Hitting the first nail caused the timber purling to explode and crash into the shed .... upon closer examination all the roof timbers were being held together with cobwebs - all had rotten through to the core. Had to rebuild the entire roof carcass from scratch!

This was the day before the MiL moved in. I am sure the 2 are connected

Bikster

Comment

I asked (politely) my husband to fill a hole between the roof and wall of our garage. (potential cost £1 of filler) I'm not saying he was clumsey but he instead of repairing a small hole he put his foot though the whole roof panel. Sadly the roof panel was asbestos, so a bill for £2000 ensued. Hefty fee to remove asbestos, followed by new roof.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                    Hefty fee to remove asbestos
                    Isn't that why lay-byes were invented?

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                      upon closer examination all the roof timbers were being held together with cobwebs - all had rotten through to the core. Had to rebuild the entire roof carcass from scratch!

This was the day before the MiL moved in. I am sure the 2 are connected
                      And you went to the trouble to put a roof on for her? More fool you.

Comment

Working...
                      X